Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PaddingtonBear

Default How to change view settings in 'open file' dialog box

I sometimes change the view settings in the 'open file' dialog box in Word,
and later on they get changed back, or appear to change at random.

What is the rule here, and how do I make a permanent change, or set a new
view default. (Not concerned about file locations, more concerned about the
view, and the column orders, etc)

Thanks,
PB
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

To change the view, right-click in a blank space in the file list,
choose View and then the view you want. Whatever you select should
remain in force until you explicitly choose a different view.

If that isn't true for you, then something may be interfering with
Word storing the view information in the registry. It should be stored
in a binary value named Data under the key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\C ommon\Open
Find\Microsoft Office Word\Settings\Open\View

(replace the 11.0 with 10.0 for Office XP, etc.). I'm not sure how
you'd go about trying to troubleshoot this, especially if you can't
come up with a set of steps that cause the problem every time.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 09:37:02 -0700, PaddingtonBear
wrote:

I sometimes change the view settings in the 'open file' dialog box in Word,
and later on they get changed back, or appear to change at random.

What is the rule here, and how do I make a permanent change, or set a new
view default. (Not concerned about file locations, more concerned about the
view, and the column orders, etc)

Thanks,
PB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PaddingtonBear

Many thanks for that. I will use your information, investigate further, and
if it continues randomly, try and find a pattern.

wrote:

I sometimes change the view settings in the 'open file' dialog box in Word,
and later on they get changed back, or appear to change at random.

What is the rule here, and how do I make a permanent change, or set a new
view default. (Not concerned about file locations, more concerned about the
view, and the column orders, etc)

Thanks,
PB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

FWIW, I have found that if I change the sort order in the File Open dialog
in Excel, the sort order (though not the view) is changed in Word. Changes
made in Windows Explorer don't seem to affect either dialog. Perhaps this
will help with your troubleshooting.

wrote:

I sometimes change the view settings in the 'open file' dialog box in

Word,
and later on they get changed back, or appear to change at random.

What is the rule here, and how do I make a permanent change, or set a

new
view default. (Not concerned about file locations, more concerned about

the
view, and the column orders, etc)

Thanks,
PB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roberto Roberto is offline

I think I posted this question long ago. I have the same problem
PaddingtonBear has. For whatever reason the sort order in the File-Open
dialog box keeps changing. I can re-arrange them but later they change
again. What I noticed is that they change to what appears to be the order of
the most recent files used.
Not a big problem just a nuisance having to re-sort files again.
If anyone has a suggestion, I am ready to try it, Thanks

..