Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Deejay Deejay is offline

Default Sending hyperlink to file on network

How do I send a colleague a link to a word file stored on the network server?
At the moment I send the file itself and he then must go searching for it if
he wishes to edit it as editing the attached file will not affect the
original.

Can the hyperlink be emailed from within the file on Word?

Using Word 2007 and Vista.

Many thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

I'm assuming that your colleague has access to the same server where the file
is located and is not separated from your server by a firewall. I'm also
assuming you're using Office 2003 or earlier. I'm not familiar with 2007 yet.

Be aware that the text displayed in a hyperlink is NOT the same as the
actual address that the hyperlink aims at. The text can say anything. (Like
"Click here.")

Right-click on the hyperlink, choose "Edit Hyperlink," and check the target
address (should be at the bottom of the window). If the hyperlink is to a
file on a network directory, the target must start with two backslashes and
the server name, and must include the complete path to the file. (It's
usually something like "\\SERVERNAME\Foldername\docname.doc.") Note that
server addresses use backslashes.

If your network server is mapped as a drive on your computer, you can't use
a target address that includes the drive identification unless your
colleague has the same server mapped as the same drive. If you have the
server mapped as your F:// drive, a target that starts with "F://something"
will ONLY work for those employees who also have the same server or directory
mapped as their F drive. If your colleague has that server mapped as his G
drive or something else, your links won't work. Note that this kind of
address uses forward slashes.

I hope this helps.

Fred

"Deejay" wrote:

How do I send a colleague a link to a word file stored on the network server?
At the moment I send the file itself and he then must go searching for it if
he wishes to edit it as editing the attached file will not affect the
original.

Can the hyperlink be emailed from within the file on Word?

Using Word 2007 and Vista.

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Deejay Deejay is offline

Thank you very much. Apart that we use W2007 your assumptions are correct. I
am not sure how I get by the very first step of creating the hyperlink. If I
am in a word doc is there any command for emailing a hyperlink to that very
doc? If not how do I create the link to the file path?