Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
data guy data guy is offline

Default Linked text boxed and images

I am unable to do several things with linked text boxes. To be very clear, I
have used Insert-Object-Text from File and after selecting the text, chosen
"Insert as Link" to include the text box. The text in the included file is
..rtf format.

To update (reflect changes in the file in the document), I mouse over the
inserted text and either Right-click-Update field or F9. This works fine.

1) I cannot update the entire document. This used to be possible using
Cntl-A-F9. This no longer works. I must select each of 120 tables and F9 -
very tiresome.

2) When I change the location of the file, I lose the links.

3) I can Alt-F9 to convert links to editable text, edit the text and then
Alt-F9. However, since I do not know the correct form for the text string
which indicates the insertion rule, this often does not work correctly.

Word Help does not help in these issues.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

1. Note that selecting all (Ctrl+A) does not select text boxes or their
contents; this is no different from previous versions of Word. But you can
use a macro to update fields anywhere in the document; see the example at
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

2. Have you considered using a SET field to specify the path; that way, you
can easily modify it as needed. For example:

{ SET thepath "H:\\documents\\important\\" }

{ INCLUDETEXT "{REF thepath }filename.doc" }

3. From Word Help on the INCLUDETEXT field:

**************
Field codes: IncludeText field

{ INCLUDETEXT "FileName" [Bookmark ] [Switches ] }

Inserts the text and graphics contained in the named document. You can
insert the entire document or a portion of the document. If the document is
a Microsoft Word document, you can insert only the portion referred to by a
bookmark (bookmark: A location or selection of text in a file that you name
for reference purposes. Bookmarks identify a location within your file that
you can later refer or link to.), or if the document is an XML (Extensible
Markup Language (XML): A condensed form of Standard Generalized Markup
Language (SGML) that enables developers to create customized tags that offer
flexibility in organizing and presenting information.) file, you can insert
only the fragment referred to by an XPath expression. This field (field: A
set of codes that instructs Microsoft Word to insert text, graphics, page
numbers, and other material into a document automatically. For example, the
DATE field inserts the current date.) was formerly called the INCLUDE field.

Notes

a.. XML features, except for saving files as XML documents, are available
only in Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 and Microsoft Office Word
2003.
b.. If the source document is a Word document, you can edit the inserted
text resulting from the INCLUDETEXT field and save the changes back to the
source document. Edit the inserted text, and then press CTRL+SHIFT+F7.
c.. The INCLUDETEXT field doesn't make use of OLE (OLE: A
program-integration technology that you can use to share information between
programs. All Office programs support OLE, so you can share information
through linked and embedded objects.).
Security Because field codes can be visible to anyone reading your
document, be sure that the information you place in field codes is not
information that you want kept private.

Instructions

"FileName"
The name and location of the document. If the location includes a long
file name with spaces, enclose it in quotation marks. Replace single
backslashes with double backslashes to specify the path (path: The route
that the operating system uses to locate a folder or file; for example,
C:\House finances\March.doc.), for example:
"C:\\My Documents\\Manual.doc"

Bookmark
The name of a bookmark that refers to the portion of the Microsoft Word
document you want to include.
Switches

\!
Prevents Word from updating fields in the inserted text unless the
fields are first updated in the source document.
\c ClassName
Here are file format converters provided with Word and their
corresponding class names:

WordPerfect version 6.x
WordPerfect6x
WordPerfect 5.x for Windows
WrdPrfctWin

\n
Specifies a namespace mapping for XPath queries. This switch is required
if the \x switch refers to an element by name in an XML file that declares a
namespace.
\t
Specifies an XSLT for formatting XML data.
\x
Specifies the XPath for returning a fragment of data in an XML file.
Examples

This field inserts the portion of the file referred to by the Summary
bookmark:

{ INCLUDETEXT "C:\\Winword\\Port Development RFP" Summary }

This field inserts the Name element of the XML document Resume.xml and
applies the XSLT Display.xsl to it:

{ INCLUDETEXT "C:\\Resume.xml" \n xmlns:a=\"resume-schema\" \t
"C:\\display.xsl" \x a:Resume/a:Name }

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP