Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
ray ray is offline

Default TABLE NUMBERS IN CAPTION JUMP ABOUT 30 UNITS!

Hi all - I used the regular table caption entry method for tables and figures
in my doc. However, after a few table, the numbering jumps from say 4 to 37.
Figures also jump one #. Help please!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?UkFZ?=,

I used the regular table caption entry method for tables and figures
in my doc. However, after a few table, the numbering jumps from say 4 to 37.
Figures also jump one #.

Which version of Word are we dealing with?

Are you inserting the tables and figures (and thus the caption) "in-line" with
the text? Or are applying any text wrap formatting?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
ray ray is offline

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?UkFZ?=,

I used the regular table caption entry method for tables and figures
in my doc. However, after a few table, the numbering jumps from say 4 to 37.
Figures also jump one #.

Which version of Word are we dealing with?

Word 2003 (11.8125.8122) SP2

Are you inserting the tables and figures (and thus the caption) "in-line" with
the text? Or are applying any text wrap formatting?

Tables were inserted using the toolbar buttons, and not otherwise formatted.

Figures are in line with text. BTW, figure numbers start with 3, instead of 1

Thans for you reply.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Ray,

Caption numbering is done by SEQ fields. If you press Alt+F9, all the field codes in
the document should show, instead of the field results. Do you see any "stray" SEQ
fields where there shouldn't be any? Or nested within other fields? (You'll
recognize a field by the { brackets }).

It's also possible to force numbering to jump or restart, although I wouldn't expec
that to happen with just inserting captions. You don't see any \r or \s in any of
the SEQ fields that make such jumps, by any chance?

Any possibility this document originated in Word 97?

I used the regular table caption entry method for tables and figures
in my doc. However, after a few table, the numbering jumps from say 4 to 37.
Figures also jump one #.

Which version of Word are we dealing with?

Word 2003 (11.8125.8122) SP2

Are you inserting the tables and figures (and thus the caption) "in-line" with
the text? Or are applying any text wrap formatting?

Tables were inserted using the toolbar buttons, and not otherwise formatted.

Figures are in line with text. BTW, figure numbers start with 3, instead of 1

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
ray ray is offline

Hi Cindy - I don't see lost codes, and only see a \* switch in the SEQ field.
And, no, the doc was started in Word2003, which is th one I use now. Is
there a chance of the doc getting messed up if I edit it in ojne computer and
email it to an associate for him to edit it? TIA