Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Victoria Victoria is offline

Default Making text fields required

I have a form that have text fields so that they can type unlimited text, but
I need it to be required. Meaning the person has to input something in the
text field before moving on to the next question. Is there a way to do this
in Word 2004?

Thanks for your help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 17:28:34 -0800, Victoria
wrote:

I have a form that have text fields so that they can type unlimited text, but
I need it to be required. Meaning the person has to input something in the
text field before moving on to the next question. Is there a way to do this
in Word 2004?

Thanks for your help!

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...ateFFields.htm. Test whether
the field's .Result contains five nonbreaking spaces (that's the default content
of a text form field).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Victoria Victoria is offline

Thank G. Mayor but it didn't work. I copied the information and everything. I
must be doing something wrong. When I locked the form it still let me skip
the text field without entering anything, which I don't want. I want it so I
have to type something in the field before moving on.

Please help!!

Victoria wrote:
I have a form that have text fields so that they can type unlimited
text, but I need it to be required. Meaning the person has to input
something in the text field before moving on to the next question. Is
there a way to do this in Word 2004?

Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This is exactly what the macros do. Did you set the entry and exit macros to
run on all the relevant fields?

Add the following macro to the module that contains the macros you copied
from my web site and run it on the document. This will add the macros to all
the fields: Put your cursor in the first field, then lock the form.

It won't work if you have default text in the field.

Victoria wrote:
I have a form that have text fields so that they can type unlimited
text, but I need it to be required. Meaning the person has to input
something in the text field before moving on to the next question.
Is there a way to do this in Word 2004?

Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Victoria Victoria is offline

This time it worked and a box comes up that says the field is required, but
then it just skips to the next text field and doesn't stay on the field that
needs to be filled in first??

What did I do wrong?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

This is exactly what the macros do. Did you set the entry and exit macros to
run on all the relevant fields?

Add the following macro to the module that contains the macros you copied
from my web site and run it on the document. This will add the macros to all
the fields: Put your cursor in the first field, then lock the form.

It won't work if you have default text in the field.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You need the Entry macro adding to the field that you tab to. Add it to all
the other fields and you will not be able to leave the required field(s)
without entering something.