Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stella Stella is offline

Default Cross references

In the previous version of Word when I inserted a cross reference it was
surrounded by a gray box making it easy to identify as a cross reference. In
Word 2003 the cross references aren't in a shaded area and the only way to
make them easily recognizable as a cross reference is to change the color of
the cross referenced text. I can't find a fix. Do I need to enable an
option or function somewhere to make this happen? I appreciate any help from
anyone.--
stella
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

In Tools Options View, change the Field Shading dropdown to "Always".

This will affect all fields, not just cross-references.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

stella wrote:
In the previous version of Word when I inserted a cross reference it
was surrounded by a gray box making it easy to identify as a cross
reference. In Word 2003 the cross references aren't in a shaded area
and the only way to make them easily recognizable as a cross
reference is to change the color of the cross referenced text. I
can't find a fix. Do I need to enable an option or function
somewhere to make this happen? I appreciate any help from anyone.--
stella

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Select Tools Options View tab. Set Field Shading to Always. Then you have
your gray shading back.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"stella" wrote:

In the previous version of Word when I inserted a cross reference it was
surrounded by a gray box making it easy to identify as a cross reference. In
Word 2003 the cross references aren't in a shaded area and the only way to
make them easily recognizable as a cross reference is to change the color of
the cross referenced text. I can't find a fix. Do I need to enable an
option or function somewhere to make this happen? I appreciate any help from
anyone.--
stella

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stella Stella is offline

Thank you so much. I was close---I checked field codes and then selected
"always"--got a bunch of field codes. It figures it was something simple.
Thanks again.
stella