Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LindaH LindaH is offline

Default Text Box options Tight wrap - What do these do?

Can anyone please tell me what the Textbox options Tight wrap settings on the
Line and Pages Breaks tab of the Paragraph dialog box do? I've fiddled with
all sorts of boxes and text wraps and couldn't see them make any difference
to the wrapping.

Many thanks,
Linda
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Office MVP Beth Melton provides the following explanation:

These options are more for the paragraphs around a text box than the text
box itself when you want the text in the surrounding paragraphs to wrap to
the text in the box instead of the text box itself. The primary stipulation
is the text box needs to have No Fill for both the Shape Fill and Shape
Outline.

Here are some steps to reproduce:
- Add a large paragraph to a document
- Add a text box
- Add a couple lines of narrow text in the text box
- Remove the Fill and Outline for the text box
- Set the vertical and horizontal alignment for the text in the text box to
Center.
- Set the text box wrapping to Tight (keep the text box selected)
- In the Paragraph dialog box, modify the Tight Wrap options, such as All.

Result: The surrounding paragraphs wrap to the internal margins of the text
instead of the boundaries of the text box.

"LindaH" wrote in message
Can anyone please tell me what the Textbox options Tight wrap settings on

the
Line and Pages Breaks tab of the Paragraph dialog box do? I've fiddled

with
all sorts of boxes and text wraps and couldn't see them make any

difference
to the wrapping.

Many thanks,
Linda

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LindaH LindaH is offline

Great!

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you centre text vertically in a text box?

Thanks

"LindaH" wrote in message
Can anyone please tell me what the Textbox options Tight wrap settings on

the
Line and Pages Breaks tab of the Paragraph dialog box do? I've fiddled

with
all sorts of boxes and text wraps and couldn't see them make any

difference
to the wrapping.

Many thanks,
Linda

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Although Publisher offers this option, Word doesn't. The only efficient way
to do it in Word is to insert a single-cell table in the text box and
vertically center the text in the table cell. I suspect, however, that this
would prevent a tight wrap around the text. The other alternative is to
center it manually (by eye) using Space Before.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.