Freelancer21

Default Numbered list does not follow tabs for promoting/demoting

In a numbered outline, using the TAB key does not promote the outline level.
Using the INCREASE INDENT toolbar button does, but sometimes promotes EVERY
LINE of the document, after which I have to UNDO once, and the result is the
single-line promotion I was seeking.
Freelancer21

Let me add to the original post. The same exact document, when opened on
another computer (also with Word 2003), does not exhibit these errors.

On the setup that is misbehaving, using TAB, SHIFT+TAB, or CTRL+TAB all
produce the exact same result inside of a numbered list. The position of the
text promotes to the next tab stop, but the outline level is unchanged.

Now I notice that in a plain line of text, SHIFT+TAB does not outdent, but
indents just as TAB. So I opened a blank document, and the same problems
occur. It is this instance of Word that isn't working right.

I've done everything I can think of to try and reset options and settings to
default, and no change. I am certain that the keyboard functions properly.

Thank you for any assistance.
Carol

Hi Freelancer,

Try this:

Got to Tools| AutoCorrect Options| AutoFormat As you Type and deselect
everything under Apply As you Type.

I hope this is helpful to you.

"Freelancer21" wrote:

Let me add to the original post. The same exact document, when opened on
another computer (also with Word 2003), does not exhibit these errors.

On the setup that is misbehaving, using TAB, SHIFT+TAB, or CTRL+TAB all
produce the exact same result inside of a numbered list. The position of the
text promotes to the next tab stop, but the outline level is unchanged.

Now I notice that in a plain line of text, SHIFT+TAB does not outdent, but
indents just as TAB. So I opened a blank document, and the same problems
occur. It is this instance of Word that isn't working right.

I've done everything I can think of to try and reset options and settings to
default, and no change. I am certain that the keyboard functions properly.

Thank you for any assistance.

garfield-n-odie

In Word 2003 on the misbehaving computer, click on Tools |
AutoCorrect Options | AutoFormat As You Type | check the "Set
left- and first-indent with tabs and backspaces" box | OK, and
turn off "automtically update" in the style definitions as
described in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...eformatted.htm .