How do I format a phone number in a mail merge?

Old December 8th 04, 11:01 PM
Kristyn

Default How do I format a phone number in a mail merge?

My data source is an Access query. The phone # is formated correctly in the
query, but when merged into a Word doc it looses it's formatting. Instead of
this:
(206) 860-1400,
I get this:
2068601400

Thanks for your ideas - Kristyn
Old December 9th 04, 01:30 AM
Doug Robbins

If you have the expression correct in the query (and it's that expression
that is doing the formatting, not the built in formatting) then it should
appear as formatted.

You would need the following expression:

"(" & Left([Phone],3) & ") " & Mid([Phone],4,3) & "-" & Right([Phone],4)

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Old December 9th 04, 09:12 AM
Graham Mayor

Or format it in Word with the following field switch
{ Mergefield Phone \# "'('000') '000'-'0000" }

See - http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com