Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
John John is offline

Default increasing left coumn causes first column to become too narrow

I have tried to change the margins in a converted PDF file. No matter what
I do, I keep getting this error message. Any suggestions?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: increasing left coumn causes first column to become too narrow

It sounds like you are trying to adjust the margins in a PDF file, but when you increase the left column, the first column becomes too narrow. This can be frustrating, but there are a few things you can try to fix the issue.
  1. First, try adjusting the margins on the entire document. This may help to redistribute the space and allow you to increase the left column without making the first column too narrow. To do this, go to the "Page Layout" tab in Microsoft Word and click on "Margins." From here, you can select a different margin size or choose "Custom Margins" to adjust the margins manually.
  2. If adjusting the margins on the entire document doesn't work, you may need to adjust the column widths individually. To do this, go to the "Page Layout" tab and click on "Columns." From here, you can select "More Columns" to adjust the column width and spacing. You can also choose "Equal Column Width" to make all columns the same width.
  3. Another option is to adjust the font size or spacing within the columns. If the text is too large or the spacing is too wide, it may be causing the columns to overlap or become too narrow. To adjust the font size, select the text and go to the "Home" tab. From here, you can choose a different font size or adjust the spacing between lines.
  4. If none of these solutions work, you may need to consider using a different PDF editor or converter. Some programs may handle margins and columns differently, so it's worth trying a few different options to see if you can find one that works for your needs.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can do to assist you.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Please provide more information. What margin settings are you using, how
many columns? etc. etc.?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"John" wrote in message

I have tried to change the margins in a converted PDF file. No matter
what
I do, I keep getting this error message. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The message is at least partly bogus, but the way around it is to go to
Format | Columns and click on the preset picture for One (even if you
already have just a single column), which will check the "Equal column
width" box and result in a correct column width. If possible, do this with
"Whole document" selected under "Apply to." Then click OK. You'll probably
notice that the column width shown changes.

http://word.mvps.org

"John" wrote in message

I have tried to change the margins in a converted PDF file. No matter
what
I do, I keep getting this error message. Any suggestions?

haleba haleba is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post

"John" wrote in message

I have tried to change the margins in a converted PDF file. No matter
what
I do, I keep getting this error message. Any suggestions?
I am having this exact issue with a PDF that I think was formatted with extremely small "page" sizes, possibly for the purpose of folding.

Ms. Barnhill's idea succeeded for me in Word 2010 with the clarification that this feature (Word 2010) is found in the Columns dialog in the Page Layout tab, but selecting one column didn't work at first: I got a second error about the left column.

I was able to work around this by attempting to manually change the column width (setting it to 2" instead of 1.47"), which did not stick but somehow "jogged" the formatting enough to allow changing the page orientation to landscape for the entire document, which then allowed changing the paper size.
haleba haleba is offline
Junior Member

I had this exact problem after converting a PDF that had an extremely small custom page size, probably for the purpose of folding.

Ms Barnhill's idea didn't work at first using Word 2010: I started getting an error about the left margin after attempting to set the entire document to one column.

I was able to work around this by attempting to manually change the column width. The change wouldn't take, but apparently was enoguh to "jog" the document formatting and I was able to successfully change the orientation to landscape and then change the paper size and set the margins that I wanted.

"John" wrote in message

I have tried to change the margins in a converted PDF file. No matter
what
I do, I keep getting this error message. Any suggestions?
victorj victorj is offline

"John" wrote in message

I have tried to change the margins in a converted PDF file. No matter
what
I do, I keep getting this error message. Any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by haleba View Post
I am having this exact issue with a PDF that I think was formatted with extremely small "page" sizes, possibly for the purpose of folding.

Ms. Barnhill's idea succeeded for me in Word 2010 192.168.0.1 with the clarification that this feature (Word 2010) is found in the Columns dialog in the Page Layout tab, but selecting one column didn't work at first: I got a second error about the left column.

I was able to work around this by attempting to manually change the column width (setting it to 2" instead of 1.47"), which did not stick but somehow "jogged" the formatting enough to allow changing the page orientation to landscape for the entire document, which then allowed changing the paper size.
I have a similar issue with a PDF

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SnoLaw SnoLaw is offline

"John" wrote in message

I have tried to change the margins in a converted PDF file. No matter
what
I do, I keep getting this error message. Any suggestions?

This worked for me!! Thakns Susanne