Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Just Guessing Just Guessing is offline

Default Wnword.exe runs all the time - even with Office shut down.

On a Windows XP SP2 computer running Microsoft Office 2003, if I look at the
task manager, the winword.exe process runs all the time - sometimes consuming
50 % CPU - even with Microsoft Office shut down. I understand Word is used
as Outlooks e-mail editor, but why does winword run when Outlook and all
Office applications are shut down? I use AVG antivirus also.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Try restarting Windows.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Just Guessing" wrote in message
news
On a Windows XP SP2 computer running Microsoft Office 2003, if I look at
the
task manager, the winword.exe process runs all the time - sometimes
consuming
50 % CPU - even with Microsoft Office shut down. I understand Word is
used
as Outlooks e-mail editor, but why does winword run when Outlook and all
Office applications are shut down? I use AVG antivirus also.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Just Guessing Just Guessing is offline

Does this mean that winword.exe continously runs once Office runs - even
after it is shut down? And the only way to shut down the process is to
reboot the computer?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Try restarting Windows.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Just Guessing" wrote in message
news
On a Windows XP SP2 computer running Microsoft Office 2003, if I look at
the
task manager, the winword.exe process runs all the time - sometimes
consuming
50 % CPU - even with Microsoft Office shut down. I understand Word is
used
as Outlooks e-mail editor, but why does winword run when Outlook and all
Office applications are shut down? I use AVG antivirus also.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Just Guessing" wrote:

Does this mean that winword.exe continously runs once Office runs - even
after it is shut down? And the only way to shut down the process is to
reboot the computer?

No.
If you observe something like that on your machine, you have a problem. Try
posting in the Application error group.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

My suggestion was intended as a trouble-shooting step. If the problem comes
back after you've restarted, then something peculiar is going on. See
Jean-Guy's reply.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Just Guessing" wrote in message
Does this mean that winword.exe continously runs once Office runs - even
after it is shut down? And the only way to shut down the process is to
reboot the computer?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Try restarting Windows.