Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Shana

Default How to create hyphenated page number WITHOUT using Chapter heading

I have a multi-section document (each section is a separate doc). I want the
page numbering to be 1-2, 2-5, etc.

When I go to Format of Insert / Page Numbers, I've checked the boxes for
Include Chapter Number. However, I receive an error message stating "There is
no chapter number to include..." My document has sections.

On the page:

it states "Usually, to get the chapter number to appear in the page number
and table of contents, you must also display the chapter number in the text,
as in the following: Chapter One Introduction to Cooking"

What is the exception to using Chapter numbers??

However, I know what I'm trying to do is possible because an earlier version
of my document has this formatting. I just need to know how to recreate the
page numbering so the TOC and Index will show blah 1-3; blahblah 2-5; etc.

Help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel

Here's one (of many) possibilities --

1. Define a document property using File Properties Custom. Call it
something like "DocNum" and set the value to the section number for that
document.

2. Where you want the page number to appear, use a DocProperty field:
{DocProperty DocNum}-{Page}

"Shana" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Shana

Default How to create hyphenated page number WITHOUT using Chapter hea

Thanks. This works inside the individual documents.

However, when I update my TOC, it still just displays "1" "5" for page
numbers.

How can I create hyphenated page numbers in the documents, so that they will
appear as "1-2" "2-5" in the TOC and Index?

"Shana" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel

In that case, why not use a chapter number? You can always format the
chapter header as hidden, so the user doesn't see it; but the number is
still available for page numbering.

"Shana" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The "chapter number" doesn't have to be a *chapter* number; it just has to
be the number assigned to a numbered heading. Okay, so you're not using
numbered headings, but if you want to include the "chapter number" in your
page number (in such a way that it will be included in the TOC) you *have*
to have a numbered heading. So create a numbered heading. Are you using
Heading 1 for anything? If so, does each section/doc include more than one
Heading 1? If the answers are yes and no, respectively, you can use Heading
1. If not, you'll have to pick some other heading level that you're not
using; in either case, you will select that heading level as the one to use
for the "chapter number."

1. If you're using a single Heading 1, apply numbering and format the
numbering as Hidden, with "Nothing" for "Follow number with." The number
won't print but will be picked up by your page numbers.

2. If you're using a different heading level, apply numbering to that level
and insert a paragraph in that heading style at the beginning of the
section, formatting it as Hidden.

"Shana" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Shana

Can you explain how to do this? I'm looking at the Help menu for Chapter
Number, and I've done that, but a whole bunch of Section 1, Section 2, etc
appears.

Do you mean that I should add the "Section 1" to each cover page, and then
just hide the text (e.g. through font color)? Or do you mean something else
by "chapter header"? Do I have to do this by using the Bullets and Numbering
options?

"Shana" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Shana

I am using Headings, and there is only one Heading 1 per section.

What menu are you using to do this? When I look at the menus for Bullets and
Numbering, and I choose one of the ones that has "Section / Heading 1" in it,
I do not see an option for "Follow number with". I'm using Word 2002.

Can you send an explicit list of instructions? e.g. xxx on the Toolbar, yyy
option, etc? What I've seen in the Word Help doesn't appear straightforward
and it appears overly verbose.

"Shana" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In order to have these options, you have to choose Outline Numbered (even if
you have only one level) and expand the dialog using More. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html for further
detail.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so