Jennifer from DPI

Default how can I use autosum in a WORD table with blank cells

I'm trying to add up a column in a word table. There are blank cells in the
column and the autosum will not add up correctly unless there is a numerical
figure in all cells. I don't want to put a zero in the blank cells.

is there a way to still use autosum with blank cells?

(I don't want to use Excel either)

Apparently Word is able to get a correct sum even with empty cells in the
range in Word 2003. I was surprised to note this in my invoice form;
normally I delete the unused rows, but I was keeping them open to keep a
running total for a client for whom I had not set up an account.

"Jezebel" wrote in message
You could put zero in the cells and format them as hidden. Word's table
calculations are minimal at best.

"Jennifer from DPI" Jennifer from wrote in
message ...
I'm trying to add up a column in a word table. There are blank cells in

the
column and the autosum will not add up correctly unless there is a

numerical
figure in all cells. I don't want to put a zero in the blank cells.

is there a way to still use autosum with blank cells?

(I don't want to use Excel either)

macropod

Hi Jennifer,

In your 'total' row, press Ctrl-F9 to create a pair of field braces '{ }'

Between the field braces type '=SUM(A1:A10)', where 'A' represents the
column (as in Excel) and the 1 & 10 represent the first and last rows to be
added (as in Excel), so that your field looks like:
{=SUM(A1:A10)}

Then press F9 to update.

Cheers

"Jennifer from DPI" Jennifer from wrote in
message ...
I'm trying to add up a column in a word table. There are blank cells in

the
column and the autosum will not add up correctly unless there is a

numerical
figure in all cells. I don't want to put a zero in the blank cells.

is there a way to still use autosum with blank cells?

(I don't want to use Excel either)

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).