Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
evelynm evelynm is offline

Default Assigning a key to a form letter template

My data source generates variable data (including recipient information) for
multiple form letter types (e.g., requests for information, notifications of
delays, etc.). The data generated depends on the letter type and required
content. I'd like to build unique templates in Word 2003 then automatically
merge data from a single table where each row contains the template name/key
and the data pertinent to that template.

Any idea?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

1. The best way is probably to have one mail merge main document for each
letter type and specify and save the appropriate selection criteria for
each. You might run each merge manually or using a Word VBA macro depending
on how often you need to do it. However, notice that in this case the
records for each merge can be in completely different tables, which /may/
make things easier if, for example, each letter requires completely
different fields in the data source.

2. If sequence is important (e.g. you want to produce letter type 1 from
record 1, then letter type 2 from record 2, and so on, rather than all
letter type 1 documents, then all letter type 2 documents) then I would
suggest using a VBA macro that merges one letter for each record, opening
the appropriate document and setting up and executing the appropriate merge.

3. What I would avoid is trying to use a single mail merge main document
that uses (for example) INCLUDETEXT fields or AUTOTEXT fields to pull in the
required text for each letter type. There are a couple of problems with that
solution but the main one is that it's very hard to maintain.

If you need (1), I would go ahead and experiment with (say) two letters and
see what problems you run into, if any.

If you need (2), I don't think I have the exact VBA source you need but
certainly have the beginnings of something appropriate.

Peter Jamieson