Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Karen

Default How do I set up a default document , i.e. justified alignment etc

I'm new at Word and want to set up a document style so that my alignment is
set at justified all the time. How do I do that?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RobertVA

Karen wrote:
I'm new at Word and want to set up a document style so that my alignment is
set at justified all the time. How do I do that?

Find and rename the normal.dot file

Make the desired changes in Word

On the file Menu, Save As normal.dot
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Absolutely not! Although you can edit Normal.dot (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm), you
cannot create one; only Word can do that. If you save a document as
Normal.dot, you will, among other things, lose all the built-in AutoText
entries and all your formatted AutoCorrect entries.

"RobertVA" wrote in message
Karen wrote:
I'm new at Word and want to set up a document style so that my alignment

is
set at justified all the time. How do I do that?

Find and rename the normal.dot file

Make the desired changes in Word

On the file Menu, Save As normal.dot

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Although you could change the Normal style to Justified, this is strongly
discouraged, as it will affect virtually every other style and have
repercussions you will not like. A better approach is to define Body Text as
justified and formatted the default empty paragraph in your template as Body
Text instead of Normal. Although you *can* do this in Normal.dot, it's
probably better to create a specific document template instead; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm

"Karen" wrote in message
I'm new at Word and want to set up a document style so that my alignment

is
set at justified all the time. How do I do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Eric

Default How do I set up a default document , i.e. justified alignment

Suzanne,

Over the last several versions of Word, I have routinely changed my
Normal.dot without repercussions or adverse impacts to styles. I make a copy
of the "clean" Normal.dot, and rename it "Clean Normal.dot." The I make
changes to the styles, tool bars, and keyboard shortcuts. The style revisions
I always "Save to Template." If something does go haywire, I just rename
"Clean Normal.dot" to "Normal.dot," and I'm saved.

I have never lost my Autotext or other features doing this.

In worst case scenarios, one just renames the customized Normal.dot to any
name other than Normal.dot, restarts Word, and it generates a new "clean"
Normal.dot.

Eric

"Karen" wrote in message
I'm new at Word and want to set up a document style so that my alignment

is
set at justified all the time. How do I do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The problem is that if you justify the Normal style, then every other style
based on Normal will also be justified. Since almost every other style *is*
based on Normal, this means you'll get justified labels, envelope addresses,
etc.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Although you could change the Normal style to Justified, this is

strongly
discouraged, as it will affect virtually every other style and have
repercussions you will not like. A better approach is to define Body

Text as
justified and formatted the default empty paragraph in your template as

Body
Text instead of Normal. Although you *can* do this in Normal.dot, it's
probably better to create a specific document template instead; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.