Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JanAdam JanAdam is offline

Default drawing diagonal line a table cell

I would like to draw a diagonal line dividing the first cell in a table (the
one in upper left corner i.e., in the first row and the first column) to put
legends for the reminder of the first row above the diagonal and for the
first column below). I have tried drawing a rectangle with a diagonal and
placing it in the cell. One can do it with some adjustments to the column or
rectangle width (interestingly the rectangle shape snaps to the cell height
but not to its width). However, any change to the table formatting misaligns
the placement of my precious diagonal. Thus my questions:
Q1. Is there a way of splitting a table cell diagonally?
Q2. And/or is there a way to force a drawing canvas to fit a table cell
regardless whatever happens to the table?
Even if there is an easy answer to Q1, please address Q2 as well. (My wife
wants Avery labels with a graphic and text inside and has serious troubles
with the graphic canvas sizing.)
Thank you,
--
JanAdam
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JanAdam JanAdam is offline

Default diagonal in a table cell

Ooops, sorry, it is Word / Office 2003 pro with all current updates.
--
JanAdam
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On the Borders flyout palette (Formatting toolbar) and the Tables and
Borders toolbar there is an option to insert a diagonal line (this option
doesn't appear in the Borders and Shading dialog. This is just a line,
however; it doesn't actually divide the cell. You will have to manually
format text in one part as right-aligned and text in the other as
left-aligned.

"JanAdam" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JanAdam JanAdam is offline

Suzanne, you are great. Thanks a lot. Do you have any comments on locking a
drawing canvas to a table cell?
--
JanAdam

"JanAdam" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A drawing canvas can be formatted as In Line With Text, which would
(theoretically, at least) allow you to put it actually in the cell. The
objects in the canvas will still be in the drawing layer, however.

I just tried this, inserting a table and then using Insert | Picture | New
Drawing in one of the cells, and an inline drawing canvas was inserted, so
presumably it works. Note that I have In Line With Text selected as my
default wrapping style, so YMMV.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Borders flyout palette (Formatting toolbar) and the Tables and
Borders toolbar there is an option to insert a diagonal line (this

option
doesn't appear in the Borders and Shading dialog. This is just a line,
however; it doesn't actually divide the cell. You will have to manually
format text in one part as right-aligned and text in the other as
left-aligned.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.