Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SHenighan SHenighan is offline

Default How do I number pages in a document with several sections?

I have a document with several sections. I am trying to number the pages
continuously from the front to the back. I inserted the page number using the
header, and all my headers are linked ("Same as Previous"). The page numbers
toward the middle and end of the document are starting back at the first page.

How can I get Word to simply number the pages continuously, regardless of
sections? I have exhausted Word Help on this. I hope someone can help me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

There is a section in there somewhere which is not labeled "Same as
Previous". But where the page numbers start over, click into that
section and either fix it so that they are "Same as Previous", or adjust
the formatting of the number so that it "continues from previous
section."

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"SHenighan" wrote in message
:

I have a document with several sections. I am trying to number the pages
continuously from the front to the back. I inserted the page number using the
header, and all my headers are linked ("Same as Previous"). The page numbers
toward the middle and end of the document are starting back at the first page.

How can I get Word to simply number the pages continuously, regardless of
sections? I have exhausted Word Help on this. I hope someone can help me.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
12/17/2007 2:13 PM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Actually, that may not be the issue since it is not necessary to unlink the
header/footer in order to restart numbering. There is, however, definitely a
section in which numbering is restarted. You can use the Show Next button on
the Header and Footer toolbar to advance to a section where page numbering
restarts. Then click Format Page Number on the H&F toolbar, choose "Continue
from previous section," and click OK. Repeat as needed.

"SHenighan" wrote in message
:

I have a document with several sections. I am trying to number the pages
continuously from the front to the back. I inserted the page number using
the
header, and all my headers are linked ("Same as Previous"). The page
numbers
toward the middle and end of the document are starting back at the first
page.

How can I get Word to simply number the pages continuously, regardless of
sections? I have exhausted Word Help on this. I hope someone can help me.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
12/17/2007 2:13 PM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SHenighan SHenighan is offline

Thanks Dawn and Suzanne for the advice. I thought it was going to solve my
problem, but .... I think the problem is persisting because I have several
pages that have two or even three sections. This is because I am breaking up
some of the text into columns. So some of the sections don't get the
"manifest" in the headers, but they are still throwing off my numbering
system.

Any ideas?

-S. Henighan

"SHenighan" wrote in message
:

I have a document with several sections. I am trying to number the pages
continuously from the front to the back. I inserted the page number using
the
header, and all my headers are linked ("Same as Previous"). The page
numbers
toward the middle and end of the document are starting back at the first
page.

How can I get Word to simply number the pages continuously, regardless of
sections? I have exhausted Word Help on this. I hope someone can help me.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
12/17/2007 2:13 PM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I was afraid of that. You can still correct the problem in either of two
ways:

1. Insert a page break temporarily in the middle of the "hidden" section
(the one in the middle of the page); this will give you access to the
header/footer; or

2. With the insertion point in the "hidden" section, go to Insert | Page
Numbers and click Format... In the Page Number Format dialog, choose
"Continue from previous section" and click OK. Back in the Page Numbers
dialog, be careful to click Close rather than OK so you don't insert another
PAGE field.

news

: