Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andrew Andrew is offline

Default Template reference number in documents

Hi,
Iwould like to create a "document property field" in the footer of
documents that tells me which template and what version of the template was
used to create the document.

thanks

--
agibson
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:54:00 -0800, Andrew
wrote:

Hi,
Iwould like to create a "document property field" in the footer of
documents that tells me which template and what version of the template was
used to create the document.

thanks

In the template, create a custom document property for the version.
You can choose whatever name for it you like; "Version" is available.
You'll have to update that property manually whenever you alter the
template.

There is already a built-in document property named Template that
shows the filename (but not the path) of the template attached to the
document.

In the footer of the template, insert DocProperty fields to display
the information. You can use the Insert Field dialog or enter the
codes directly into field markers that you insert with Ctrl+F9. The
codes would look like

{DocProperty Template} {DocProperty Version}

and when you select them and press F9 (or right-click and choose
Update Field) they'll show the values you want.

I've tested to verify that once you create a document based on a
template that has a particular version number, that number will stay
in the document even if you change the template to a different version
number. (You could change the value in the document's File
Properties dialog, but I gather that you wouldn't want to.) The
Template property will change in the document if you use the Tools
Templates & Add-ins dialog to change the attached template.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman