Gautam K Banik

Default Data entry environment using Word 2003

What is the best way to provide users with field-like environment in Word
2003? The place holders need to be protected and tagged.

1. Have tried bookmarks... not secure enough as they can be easily deleted
by the user
2. Have tried form fields... formatting does not work within fields

Can Word 2003 XML features do the trick? Any possible solution/direction is
welcome.

Gautam K Banik

Corcomp Infosystems Ltd.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Gautam,

What is the best way to provide users with field-like environment in Word
2003? The place holders need to be protected and tagged.

What do you mean by "tagged"? Have you looked at Word's new protection
features, that allow you to select and free ranges? You should be able to use
bookmarks this way (the beginning and end of the bookmarks in protected
areas, so that the users can't delete them).

XML is a possibility, but Word wasn't really designed to use XML for editing
"just like that". The XML features in the interface are basically there to
set up documents to be used in a SmartDocument solution (search that on the
microsoft site). It would be possible, though, to do the same thing as I
described for bookmarks with XMl tags.

1. Have tried bookmarks... not secure enough as they can be easily deleted
by the user
2. Have tried form fields... formatting does not work within fields

Can Word 2003 XML features do the trick? Any possible solution/direction is
welcome.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Gautam K Banik

Have tried using XML on Word document. Here is where I am stuck:

I cannot let the user delete any XML node by mistake. Is there some security
check that can be implemented to stop the user for deleting nodes?
Alternatively,
Can I utilize the "Document_XMLBeforeDelete" event to undo the action?

Gautam.

Hi Gautam,