Lucy

Default How do I create dot leaders in creating an Index page?

I need the dots to go across the page until it gets to page number.
Steve Yandl

Lucy,

Try Format Tabs
Type in a tab stop position of 6.0 (vary to match your right margin)
Set Alignment to 'Right'
Pick the leader choice you desire, I like #2.
Click the Set button and then the OK button

Now, hitting the tab and typing what you want up against the right margin
should give you your dot leaders in front of that entry.

Steve

"Lucy" wrote in message
I need the dots to go across the page until it gets to page number.

Lucy

Hi Steve,

I Did Format, Tabs, stop position of 6.0, set Alignment to 'Right' and
picked #2, I hit Set, OK. Then I hit Tab and approx 11 dots showed up. I
started typing Page 2 and as I type, the dots disappear and Page 2 goes to
the left?

Lucy

"Lucy" wrote in message
I need the dots to go across the page until it gets to page number.

The default formatting for an Index field includes leader dots if you check
the box for "Right align page numbers." If by "index" you mean "table of
contents," the default formatting for a TOC field also includes period
leaders. If you are creating either a TOC or an index by hand instead of
using Word's built-in features, you are making unnecessary work for
yourself. See the following:

http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/CreateIndex.htm

"Lucy" wrote in message
I need the dots to go across the page until it gets to page number.

Lucy

Hi Suzanne, I just want a page such as:

How To Create Dot
Leader............................................ ..........Page 1
How to Underline Across
Spaces............................................ ..Page 2

Using Word 6.0, I think I used to key in a couple of dots and then hit
Alt/F7 twice. It would carry the dots across the page to the right margin.

Is there a way to do this using Word 2002 SP3?

Lucy

"Lucy" wrote in message
I need the dots to go across the page until it gets to page number.

I think you've already done it. Go to Format | Tabs and set a right tab at
your right margin (6.0" in a default Blank Document), then check radio
button #2 under leader and OK out. When you press tab at the end of your
text, you should get a line of dots, after which you can type the page
number. But you are making far too much work for yourself. It would appear
that you are creating a table of contents. If you will read
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html, you will learn a much
easier way of doing this. Also, note that by default TOCs usually don't
include the word "Page" in front of the page number.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The default formatting for an Index field includes leader dots if you

check
the box for "Right align page numbers." If by "index" you mean "table of
contents," the default formatting for a TOC field also includes period
leaders. If you are creating either a TOC or an index by hand instead of
using Word's built-in features, you are making unnecessary work for
yourself. See the following:

http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/CreateIndex.htm

newsgroup so