Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mark Tangard[_2_] Mark Tangard[_2_] is offline

Default Rationale for frustrating datasource prompt

In Word 2003, when you open a mailmerge main document that’s attached to a
datasource that’s been moved or deleted, you get a confusing dialog asking to
confirm the old datasource. (I’m not at a regular PC or I’d quote it; but anyone
into mailmerge is probably familiar with it.)

I know how to stop it, but I’m at a loss to explain to trainees why it happens.

Just what IS the rationale for that dialog? I can’t fathom it being necessary or
useful to ordinary users. My users often need to edit & reuse old mailmerge docs
whose datasources are long gone. Is that such an arcane need? Why does Word not
let them edit the merge doc, just because it has no datasource attached yet?

The meaning of that dialog is over most users’ heads and I’d never seen it
before 2003. Does anyone know the reason it was added?

Thanks folks.
MT