Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] n9ejs1401@gmail.com is offline

Default Wordperfect search question

I'm a senior citizen and have used Word Perfect for over 20 years. I've ran into an annoying problem. I have Windows Vista for an operating system, and when I go to the Internet Explorer and use the search function to find a file, it doesn't bring up any results that are in Wordperfect format, i.e., .wpd extension. Is there a work-around for this problem? Thanks !
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Note that this newsgroup deals with Microsoft Word, not WordPerfect.

For assistance with searching in Windows Vista, you can ask he
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...sc&tab=Threads.
You have to register with a Microsoft ID (you can use a Hotmail account).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
I'm a senior citizen and have used Word Perfect for over 20 years. I've
ran into an annoying problem. I have Windows Vista for an operating
system, and when I go to the Internet Explorer and use the search function
to find a file, it doesn't bring up any results that are in Wordperfect
format, i.e., .wpd extension. Is there a work-around for this problem?
Thanks !

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] brian.mountaincity@gmail.com is offline

On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 3:47:19 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I'm a senior citizen and have used Word Perfect for over 20 years. I've ran into an annoying problem. I have Windows Vista for an operating system, and when I go to the Internet Explorer and use the search function to find a file, it doesn't bring up any results that are in Wordperfect format, i.e., .wpd extension. Is there a work-around for this problem? Thanks !

I used to use Word Perfect when it ran under DOS but had a WYSIWYG interface. Pretty slick at the time. Anyway, I assume that you are trying to search the text within the documents and not just the file names. If you want to search the text within your WP documents I would recommend the Copernic Desktop Search software. Desktop search programs build an index of the contents of all of the documents (and emails, pictures, etc) in the folders that you specify, thereby giving you fast searches and displaying the results so that you can see the terms searched for within the document.
Copernic states that it will search "WordPerfect® documents (WPD, WPF, WP) (versions: 5.0, 5.1 (not Far East versions), 5.2 (not Far East versions), 5.x (Windows), 6, 7, 8, 9, 10) *
That asterisk on the end means that you may need to purchase the full-blown version rather than use the free version. But you can download the free version and try it. The full version costs $49.99 but sometimes it's on sale for half price.
https://www.copernic.com/en/products/desktop-search/

There are some other "desktop" search programs out there but they have their limitations. For example Google had a desktop search, but I believe that it only indexed a maximum of 10,000 words in a document. So if you have some long documents you could be disappointed. I understand Google no longer supports it and I don't know if it can be downloaded.

For some free software you might want to see the article here as well as the comments:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...ch-utility.htm
I'm not sure if any of those will do WP. I just looked at the Agent Ransack website and I could not find anything that indicated that it would do WP documents. If you don't like Copernic you may just have to do a Google search for "Desktop search" and go from there.

HTH,

Brian
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] brian.mountaincity@gmail.com is offline

On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 3:47:19 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I'm a senior citizen and have used Word Perfect for over 20 years. I've ran into an annoying problem. I have Windows Vista for an operating system, and when I go to the Internet Explorer and use the search function to find a file, it doesn't bring up any results that are in Wordperfect format, i.e., .wpd extension. Is there a work-around for this problem? Thanks !

I used to use Word Perfect when it ran under DOS but had a full-screen interface. Pretty slick at the time. Anyway, I assume that you are trying to search the text within the documents and not just the file names. If you want to search the text within your WP documents I would recommend the Copernic Desktop Search software. Desktop search programs build an index of the contents of all of the documents (and emails, pictures, etc) in the folders that you specify, thereby giving you fast searches and displaying the results so that you can see the terms searched for within the document.