Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BSAT Student BSAT Student is offline

Default Standard Deviation Symbol

Does anyone know if the symbol for standard deviation is available in Word
2003? I can't seem to find it under "Insert Symbol." Is it listed only under
a certain font?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Standard Deviation Symbol

Yes, the symbol for standard deviation is available in Word 2003. Here's how you can insert it:
  1. Click on "Insert" in the top menu bar.
  2. Click on "Symbol" in the drop-down menu.
  3. In the "Symbol" dialog box, select "Arial Unicode MS" as the font.
  4. Scroll down until you find the symbol for standard deviation (it looks like a lowercase "o" with a line above it).
  5. Click on the symbol to select it, and then click on "Insert" to add it to your document.

If you can't find the symbol using this method, you can also try using the "Equation Editor" in Word. Here's how:
  1. Click on "Insert" in the top menu bar.
  2. Click on "Object" in the drop-down menu.
  3. In the "Object" dialog box, select "Microsoft Equation 3.0" and click "OK."
  4. In the Equation Editor, click on the "Symbol" button (it looks like a pi symbol).
  5. In the "Symbol" dialog box, select "Arial Unicode MS" as the font.
  6. Scroll down until you find the symbol for standard deviation, and then click on it to insert it into your equation.
  7. Close the Equation Editor and your symbol should now be in your document.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The usual symbol for standard deviation is a lower case Greek sigma
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation). You can get this
either by typing a lower case 's' and formatting it with the Symbol
font.

You could use the Insert Symbol dialog and choose the Basic Greek
subset (you may have to set the dropdown in the lower right corner to
Hexadecimal in order to show the subset dropdown in the upper right).
The character number there is 03C3.

Alternatively, you can type the number 03C3 in the body of a document
and press Alt+X.

Finally, if you're going to use it a lot, you can select the character
in the Insert Symbol dialog, click the Shortcut Key button, and
assign your own shortcut; or you can click the AutoCorrect button and
assign a "name" such as sd that will automatically be replaced by the
symbol.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman