SandrH SandrH is offline
Junior Member

Default .dotx doesn't work when opened from Windows Explorer

I have a .dotx template with doc-properties fillable fields from the quick parts menu, and it works fine when it's opened from the file menu, but when opened from Windows Explorer one of the fields doesn't work right.

It pops up a dialogue box just titled at the top "Microsoft Office Word" and then the name of the field and an input box. If I write something in, whatever I've written will appear after the input field in question, and then one of the other input fields is duplicated immediately after that, and then that is followed by "Error! Unknown document property name.Error! Unknown document property name.Error! Unknown document property name." If I hit "cancel", then the duplicated field and the error appear just the same.

This is for use in a shared office setting (everybody's computers are running Office 2007 on Windows 10) and needs to be able to be opened from Windows Explorer. If it can't be accessed with a quick doubleclick, it stops being useful. Is there a fix for this?

The other five fields work perfectly, it's only one that's giving an error. The field in question has been named "Address 3" and the two above it (Address 1 & Address 2) have no issues. I used modified doc-properties fields out of the quick parts menu, rather than general text fields from the developer ribbon, in order to duplicate them (page 2 needs to generate a clone of page 1's fields.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

They're always "improving" Windows -- and "Office2007 is no longer
supported." I discovered that when I tried to look something up in
the Help menu and it refused even to consult the on-disk version
of Help, which has usually been adequate (there was a way to tell
it not to look on line for help). So they may have disconnected
anything that goes directly from Windows to Word2007.

I can't move up even to Word2013 because the Bibliography Tool is
not compatible with my customized reference "templates" (and also
the icons on the QAT are bigger so I can't put onto it all the
ones I need).

On Tuesday, November 3, 2020 at 3:31:06 PM UTC-5, SandrH wrote:
[...]

SandrH SandrH is offline
Junior Member

All of my other documents open just fine from explorer, including other .dotx templates. It's only this one particular form field that's giving me trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter T. Daniels View Post