mail merge - conditions and line breaks

Old May 5th 10, 08:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter

Default mail merge - conditions and line breaks

I’m newly working at the NZ affiliate of an international charitable
organisation. The database currently used is fairly old and some fields were
never perfectly consistent with our local situation. So over the years data
entry has been inconsistent. Medium term goal is a new international
database and cleansed data, but in the meantime I would appreciate coding
ideas for a specific scenario.

For addresses in all correspondence the field layout should include:

Suburb (if not null)
City Postcode

Where Suburb and City both have values, the data entry is consistent.
But where Suburb is blank (eg for a small rural town) the City value may
have been typed into the Suburb or City field. In such a case the
alternate field will then be null.

So I need a set of conditional field merges that cover (I think) three
possibilities:

Suburb
City Postcode

or
City Postcode (if Suburb is Null)

or
Suburb Postcode (if City is Null)

I can do bits of this but am having trouble with the layout needing to be on
one or two lines. I presume I need to insert a line break or equivalent but
don’t know how to code this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Peter.
Old May 5th 10, 11:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Use the following field construction

{ IF { MERGEFIELD Suburb } "" "{ IF { MERGEFIELD City } "" "{
MERGEFIELD Suburb }¶
{ MERGEFIELD City } { MERGEFIELD PostCode }" "{ MERGEFIELD Suburb } {
MERGEFIELD PostCode }" } "{ MERGEFIELD City } {MERGEFIELD PostCode }" }

Where the ¶ appears in the above, press Enter (or Shift+Enter)

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters { } and use
Alt+F9 to toggle off their display.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Old May 8th 10, 09:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter

Thanks for your help. This has been just what I needed to sort things out.

Peter

(PS - In case someone else has a similar issue and wants to draw on this
pattern, I think there's a quotation mark needed - I've added a quote
immediately after the 4th right hand field delimiter from the end. Without
it I lost some of my postcodes.)