Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Samedy Samedy is offline

Default Functionality Problems with Word 2007

There is already a post that is similar to my problem but not exact.

This started today. I can open Word Documents, but I cannot place the cursor
anywhere in the document with the mouse. I also can't open two MS Word
documents at the same time. I can't highlight or select text.

When I do close Word, I get an error message where it says Word has shut
down and needs to be restarted.

Word was working find before today. I haven't installed any new software.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm.

Samedy wrote:
There is already a post that is similar to my problem but not exact.

This started today. I can open Word Documents, but I cannot place the
cursor anywhere in the document with the mouse. I also can't open two
MS Word documents at the same time. I can't highlight or select text.

When I do close Word, I get an error message where it says Word has
shut down and needs to be restarted.

Word was working find before today. I haven't installed any new
software.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Samedy Samedy is offline

Well I half solved the problem. I ran Word in Safe Mode and looked at the
Add-Ins. There was a program I installed 2 weeks ago listed (it added
something without me knowing). I uninstalled the program, and I once again
could use my mouse within the body text of the document.

Now it still crashes when I close Word. It's just not shutting down
properly...

"Samedy" wrote:

There is already a post that is similar to my problem but not exact.

This started today. I can open Word Documents, but I cannot place the cursor
anywhere in the document with the mouse. I also can't open two MS Word
documents at the same time. I can't highlight or select text.

When I do close Word, I get an error message where it says Word has shut
down and needs to be restarted.

Word was working find before today. I haven't installed any new software.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Something I have found with Word 2007 (and Vista, as it happens) is that if
you receive automated updates from Windows/Microsoft update, and Word is
left open when the updater closes and restarts Windows, I almost invariably
have similar problems to the ones you describe. The solution that always
works for me is to delete Word's data key in the Windows Registry (one of
the links provided by Graham Mayor should tell you how to do that). It's a
bit destructive because you lose some Word settings. There may be other
circumstances in which this happens.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Samedy" wrote:

There is already a post that is similar to my problem but not exact.

This started today. I can open Word Documents, but I cannot place the
cursor
anywhere in the document with the mouse. I also can't open two MS Word
documents at the same time. I can't highlight or select text.

When I do close Word, I get an error message where it says Word has shut
down and needs to be restarted.

Word was working find before today. I haven't installed any new software.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The article http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...eySettings.htm
has a section that describes recording a macro to restore most of the
settings that are lost when you delete the key.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman