Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KMM KMM is offline

Default "New page" section break causing hidden blank page

I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've triple
checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the following
section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone tell
me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from page 3
to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections breaks
seem to be fine.

THanks!
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: "New page" section break causing hidden blank page

Hi there! It sounds like you're having trouble with hidden blank pages appearing in your document after a section break. Don't worry, this is a common issue and there are a few things you can try to fix it.

First, make sure that you have the "Show/Hide" button turned on in your toolbar. This will allow you to see any hidden formatting marks, such as page breaks and paragraph marks, that may be causing the issue.

Next, try deleting the section break and replacing it with a new one. To do this, place your cursor at the end of the previous section and go to the "Page Layout" tab. Click on "Breaks" and select "Next Page" under "Section Breaks". This should create a new section without any hidden blank pages.

If that doesn't work, you can try adjusting the margins of your document. Sometimes, hidden blank pages can appear if the margins are set too large. To adjust the margins, go to the "Page Layout" tab and click on "Margins". Try selecting a smaller margin size and see if that fixes the issue.

If none of these solutions work, you can try copying and pasting the content of the affected section into a new document. This will create a fresh start without any hidden formatting issues.

I hope these tips help you solve the problem with hidden blank pages in your document. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Check the formatting of the first paragraph after the Section Break. Is it
formatted to have a Page Break before it?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"KMM" wrote in message
I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've
triple
checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the
following
section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone
tell
me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from page
3
to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections
breaks
seem to be fine.

THanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell  via OfficeKB.com is offline

What do you mean by hidden blank pages? I mean if you can't see them, how do
you how they re there?

KMM wrote:
I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've triple
checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the following
section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone tell
me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from page 3
to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections breaks
seem to be fine.

THanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KMM KMM is offline

I don't know how to check that. I looked under Paragraph Formatting and I
don't see anything there. How would you format it to have a Page Break
before?

Thanks for the quick response, by the way!

"KMM" wrote in message
I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've
triple
checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the
following
section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone
tell
me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from page
3
to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections
breaks
seem to be fine.

THanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KMM KMM is offline

I can tell a few ways. When I look in the bottom left corner of the Word
frame, where it tells you what page you're on, it goes from page 3 to 5 in
one case.

I plan on printing this two sided, and want to leave inside margin larger
for three hole punch, so I have mirror page formatting with a larger margin
on the inside and I am missing the opposite margin page.

And while you don't see thee missing page in any of the Views in Word, if
you do a Print Preview, you see the hidden ones.

Thanks.

KMM wrote:
I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've triple
checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the following
section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone tell
me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from page 3
to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections breaks
seem to be fine.

THanks!

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the back sides (the even-numbered pages) are completely blank, you
won't see them in Word except in Print Preview. Sounds like it's
behaving exactly as you need it to.

KMM wrote:
I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've triple
checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the following
section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone tell
me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from page 3
to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections breaks
seem to be fine.

THanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KMM KMM is offline

But I don't want the blank page. I want to know how to get rid of it. I
suppose I should have included that fact in my initial post. I can't figure
out how to "get to it" to get rid of it.

Thanks.

KMM wrote:
I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've triple
checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the following
section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone tell
me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from page 3
to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections breaks
seem to be fine.

THanks!

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KMM KMM is offline

Thanks. But I think I've gone through these ideas before I even posted.

1. As a default, I always have my non-printing characters visible (I'm just
nerdy that way), so I don't think there are any unknown paragraph returns in
there...that I can see, anyway. As I said, I can't figure out how to "see"
page 4 in a View (other than the blacnk page in print preview) to see if
there is anything there.

2. I am certain that the Section Breaks are New Page ones. I am confident I
inserted them that way, and when I go back and check them, they are labelled
that way. And when I go to the layout tab it says "new page".

3. COULD BE IMPORTANT! -- I thought the answer was there when it said that
this can happen when the next section changes to landscape. In one of these
instances, that was the case (I've since deleted that landscape section). So
I double checked again, because it said it will sometimes change a New Page
Section Break to an Odd Page one. But as I said, these all seem to be marked
as New Page.

4. Blank pages not caused by Word...I looked through the printer settings
and didn't see anything referring to a separator page or anything similar. I
have an HP Photosmart, but didn't see anything in there that looked like it
could be the culprit.

Ugghhh. So frustrating!

"KMM" wrote in message
I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've
triple
checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the
following
section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone
tell
me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from page
3
to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections
breaks
seem to be fine.

THanks!

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you created the document yourself, then this would be a very long shot,
but check the first paragraph on the page after the blank and make sure it's
not formatted as "Page break before." Also make sure that you're in the
right section when you check the section start type (it should be the one
*after* the break).

If all else fails, I'll be happy to look at the document (or a portion of
it) if you want to email it to me.

http://word.mvps.org

"KMM" wrote in message
I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've
triple
checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the
following
section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can
anyone
tell
me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from
page
3
to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections
breaks
seem to be fine.

THanks!

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KMM KMM is offline

I pulled the first part, where I've having the problem and put it on
Dropio.com. You can see it here. The whole doc is 93 pages, but the problem
is just he "hidden" page 4 and page 6. I left the table that follows the
section after page 6 in case that is important, but deleted the info in it
because it was full of people's names and emails. The reason for the section
breaks in nearly all my cases is change in header. These pages are appendices
for a report.

http://drop.io/WordHelp

Thanks.

"KMM" wrote:

I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've triple
checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the following
section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone tell
me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from page 3
to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections breaks
seem to be fine.

THanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KMM KMM is offline

Thanks. I checked that. If I'm looking in the right place...Format paragraph
and the tab "Line and page breaks". That box is not checked.

I'd love to email it to you. I'm not sure how to do that. I've also posted
the problem pages on www.dropio.com/WordHelp. You can see it there, too. If
you prefer I email it, let me know how I can do that.

I admit, though, I'm heading to bed now, so won't check this again until
about 7:30 MST tomorrow.

Thanks so much!

"KMM" wrote in message
I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've
triple
checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the
following
section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can
anyone
tell
me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from
page
3
to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections
breaks
seem to be fine.

THanks!

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KMM KMM is offline

Okay. But I don't have any page numbers in the document. I only see the ones
in the Word "frame" that are showing for any Word document. How would that be
formatted? I thought that was just Word keeping track of how many pages are
in the doc. How do I get rid of that blank 4th and blank 6th page that I
can't get to?

"KMM" wrote:

I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've
triple
checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the
following
section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone
tell
me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from
page 3
to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections
breaks
seem to be fine.

THanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For each affected section, look in the Page Number Format dialog box. Make sure
that "Continue from previous section" is selected (and not "Start at").

To display the dialog box: In Word 2007, double-click a header to activate it.
Then click Header & Footer Tools tab | Page Number | Format Page Numbers. If you
are using Word 97-2003, click the Format Page Number button on the Header and
Footer toolbar.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

"KMM" wrote:

I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've
triple
checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the
following
section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone
tell
me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from
page 3
to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections
breaks
seem to be fine.

THanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KMM KMM is offline

How do I do it? I see when I right click on the pages numbers, that even
though it's page 5 in the Word frame, the box that comes up says "Formatted
Page 1".

How do I get it to paginate continuously? And when I do that, will page 4
and page 6 disappear?

It sounds like you all may have discovered the cause, but how to I fix it
and what happened to make it happen?

Thanks!

"KMM" wrote:

I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've
triple
checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the
following
section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone
tell
me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from
page 3
to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections
breaks
seem to be fine.

THanks!

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KMM KMM is offline

Thank you, thank you!

Sorry, I missed your post earlier and just saw the one below.

It worked like a charm! But, of course, you knew it would!

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

For each affected section, look in the Page Number Format dialog box. Make sure
that "Continue from previous section" is selected (and not "Start at").

To display the dialog box: In Word 2007, double-click a header to activate it.
Then click Header & Footer Tools tab | Page Number | Format Page Numbers. If you
are using Word 97-2003, click the Format Page Number button on the Header and
Footer toolbar.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

"KMM" wrote:

I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've
triple
checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the
following
section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can anyone
tell
me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from
page 3
to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections
breaks
seem to be fine.

THanks!

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm glad I could help!

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

For each affected section, look in the Page Number Format dialog box. Make
sure
that "Continue from previous section" is selected (and not "Start at").

To display the dialog box: In Word 2007, double-click a header to activate
it.
Then click Header & Footer Tools tab | Page Number | Format Page Numbers. If
you
are using Word 97-2003, click the Format Page Number button on the Header and
Footer toolbar.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

"KMM" wrote:

I have a few section breaks that are causing hidden blank pages. I've
triple
checked that these breaks are marked as next page (it even says it in
parentheses next to the section break mark). I've also gone to the
following
section and looked on the layout tab and it says "next page". Can
anyone
tell
me why? I tried just putting a new section break in, but it went from
page 3
to 5 also. It has happed 3 times in my document. The other 8 sections
breaks
seem to be fine.

THanks!

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm glad I could help!

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

For each affected section, look in the Page Number Format dialog box. Make
sure
that "Continue from previous section" is selected (and not "Start at").

To display the dialog box: In Word 2007, double-click a header to activate
it.
Then click Header & Footer Tools tab | Page Number | Format Page Numbers. If
you
are using Word 97-2003, click the Format Page Number button on the Header and
Footer toolbar.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP