Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Meenie Meenie is offline

Default How can you remove a footer from some pages

I want to remove the footers from all but the last page of a document, how
can that be done?
I have Word 2003
thanks, Meenie
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ArcticWolf ArcticWolf is offline

When you delete a header or footer Microsoft Word automatically deletes the
same header or footer throughout the entire document. To delete a header or
footer for part of a document, you must first divide that part of the
document into a separate section (section: A portion of a document in which
you set certain page formatting options. You create a new section when you
want to change such properties as line numbering, number of columns, or
headers and footers.) and then delete the header or footer in that section
only.

To remove the header and footer from a section of the document, do the
following:

On the View menu, click Header and Footer.
If necessary, click Show Previous or Show Next on the Header and Footer
toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out
commands. To display a toolbar, press ALT and then SHIFT+F10.) to move to the
header or footer that you want to delete.
Note Make sure that the Link to Previous button is not activated in the
section or in the following section, or all of your headers and footers will
be removed even if you separated the document into sections.

In the header or footer area, select the text and graphics, and then press
DELETE.
To remove the header or footer from the first page only, or for odd or even
pages, do the following:

On the File menu, click Page Setup, and then click the Layout tab.
Under Headers and Footers, select Different odd and even or Different first
page.
Note To make more space available on the page, you may need to change the
margins that include space for a header or footer. On the File menu, click
Page Setup, and then click the Margins tab. If the content of a header or
footer is deleted, but there is still space available for the header or
footer, click the Layout tab, and then adjust the From edge settings.

AW

"Meenie" wrote:

I want to remove the footers from all but the last page of a document, how
can that be done?
I have Word 2003
thanks, Meenie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Meenie Meenie is offline

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but when I got to View/Header and footers
and click on "show next" nothing happens. I stay on the first header or
footer (I can click on switch between header and footer and it will move me
back and forth between them on the first page)
If I manually move down to the footer I want to remove and delete the text,
it deletes it from all the footers (Link to Prev. button is not activated)

"Meenie" wrote:

I want to remove the footers from all but the last page of a document, how
can that be done?
I have Word 2003
thanks, Meenie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unless you have inserted section breaks, your document contains only one
section and so only one header and footer.

You can, however, have a footer on just the last page by inserting the
following field construction:

{ IF { PAGE } = { NUMPAGES } "Text you want in the last-page footer" }

What you put between the quotes can be anything; you can paste in a table,
graphics, whatever, but it's easiest to get the field working properly first
and then paste in the desired content.

Note that each pair of field delimiters (the things that look like braces
but can't be entered from the keyboard) must be inserted using Ctrl+F9, but
you can use the Insert Page Number and Insert Number of Pages buttons on the
Header and Footer toolbar to insert the { PAGE } and { NUMPAGES } fields.

http://word.mvps.org

"Meenie" wrote:

I want to remove the footers from all but the last page of a document,
how
can that be done?
I have Word 2003
thanks, Meenie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Meenie Meenie is offline

The instruction from Microsofts help page on Word 2003 states: To delete a
header or footer for part of a document, you must first divide that part of
the
document into a separate section. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell you how to
do that, it starts immediately into telling you to click on view/headers and
footers, making one think it was instructing you on the path of how to do
this.

I finally figured out that I had to go to the page where I want to remove
the footer and go to Insert/Break/Section Break to put the break there, THEN
follow the instruction.

So I found how to remove the content of the footer without removing ALL the
footers, but I'm still left with a box that I can't diminish or delete. I
have footers in page setup at 0 but it still shows up.
What a pain Word is. If I had my druthers I'd do everything in Excel. I know
it's not meant for documents, but it sure is easier to format!! grrrrrrr

"Meenie" wrote:

I want to remove the footers from all but the last page of a document,
how
can that be done?
I have Word 2003
thanks, Meenie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, once a header or footer has been added to a document, it will
never go away, even if you delete all its content.

But you certainly can "diminish" it -- in Page Setup Layout tab, set
the Footer Margin to 0 for that section and it won't interfere with
your text area..