Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dan Dan is offline

Default Alignment of Table of Contents

I have two styles defined for my Level 1 outline in a table of contents.

They both seem identical:
- based on outline numbered format, aligned at 0, no indent or tab,
following with nothing
- centered paragraph style
- same font size and style

However, in the Table of Contents, text in one of the styles gets aligned
perfectly to the left margin, while the text in the other is indented a
little (~1/8") and I can't figure out why.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dan Dan is offline

The extra space is actually just one character.
But it's not in the style or in the text.

In one of the Styles, the number part is after some text:
"TEXT #1"
In the other, it's a hidden number at the beginning of the outline.
"1" (hidden)

"Dan" wrote in message
I have two styles defined for my Level 1 outline in a table of contents.

They both seem identical:
- based on outline numbered format, aligned at 0, no indent or tab,
following with nothing
- centered paragraph style
- same font size and style

However, in the Table of Contents, text in one of the styles gets aligned
perfectly to the left margin, while the text in the other is indented a
little (~1/8") and I can't figure out why.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I have seen this in Word 2000, at least. In the table of contents, a
space is included instead of the hidden outline number.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
It sounds suspiciously as if Word is allowing space for that hidden
outline
number. Bummer if it is.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Dan" wrote in message
I have two styles defined for my Level 1 outline in a table of

contents.

They both seem identical:
- based on outline numbered format, aligned at 0, no indent or

tab,
following with nothing
- centered paragraph style
- same font size and style

However, in the Table of Contents, text in one of the styles

gets
aligned
perfectly to the left margin, while the text in the other is

indented a
little (~1/8") and I can't figure out why.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

OK. I found the "No numbering wanted on first level" thread in
microsoft.public.word.numbering. The connection between threads is not
obvious, though.