Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jlfetch jlfetch is offline

Default AutoNumLegl field

I need to insert into a legal document automatically updating Exhibit
numbers. I have used the AutoNumLgl field but it is not behaving as I really
need it to. I need to say €˜Exhibit JES1, €˜Exhibit JES2 etc but when I use
the AutoNumLgl field the JES separates from the 1 if its on the end of a
line. I need them to stay together. Also, this field doesnt allow me to have
two exhibits in the one paragraph. Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

One approach is to use an SEQ field immediately after the JES prefix. With
field codes expanded, this would appear as:

JES{ seq exhibit }, JES{ seq exhibit }, JES{ seq exhibit }

and with field codes toggled off, it would appear as:

JES1, JES2, JES3.

SEQ field codes are designed for numbering things such as exhibits, tables,
figures, etc., so they behave exactly as you appear to want them to.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
"jlfetch" wrote in message
I need to insert into a legal document automatically updating Exhibit
numbers. I have used the AutoNumLgl field but it is not behaving as I
really
need it to. I need to say €˜Exhibit JES1, €˜Exhibit JES2 etc but when I
use
the AutoNumLgl field the JES separates from the 1 if its on the end of a
line. I need them to stay together. Also, this field doesnt allow me to
have
two exhibits in the one paragraph. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jlfetch jlfetch is offline

Thanks so much, Herb. It worked a charm. I'm not a huge Word wizard but I do
have a basic understanding of fields. I also need to have the option to
insert a letter instead of a numeral. I have had a look at the field codes
and tried inserting the seq field and selecting the alpha sequence but when I
toggle my field code I get 'Error! No sequence specified'. I tried replacing
exhibit with alpha (and variations thereof) but nothing worked. Any
suggestions that will point me in the right direction?

"jlfetch" wrote in message
I need to insert into a legal document automatically updating Exhibit
numbers. I have used the AutoNumLgl field but it is not behaving as I
really
need it to. I need to say €˜Exhibit JES1, €˜Exhibit JES2 etc but when I
use
the AutoNumLgl field the JES separates from the 1 if its on the end of a
line. I need them to stay together. Also, this field doesnt allow me to
have
two exhibits in the one paragraph. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

What you should have is { SEQ Exhibit \* alphabetic }or { SEQ Exhibit \*
ALPHABETIC } when modifying the field press F9 to update it.

The sequence not specified is the identifier - here Exhibit.