Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
wakingupnow

Default How to Have Template Doc Default Save Format To .doc

Hi Folks,
We need users to open a Template document (.dot extension) (that also does a
mail merge,) and then when they hit the save button, it will default to save
a copy to their own directory, with a .doc extension. Is this possible?

Background: We don't want users saving their changes to the original
template, and we're trying to solve a sharing violations issue where only one
person can have a .doc document open at a time. The template (.dot) solves
the permissions issue.

Thanks in advance for the help! Kind regards,
Cole
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Charles Kenyon

They should not be opening the template. They should be using file new to
create a new document based on the template. That is the way templates are
designed to be used and what happens is that have an unnamed document which
they will be prompted to name when they attempt to save. For more on the
different kinds of templates, tabs on the file new dialog, and locations of
templates folders see http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.