Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Robyn

Default How do I lock individual pages in a long document?

In creating a long document (50 or so pages) how can I lock pages that are
already editted so that a change on page 15 will not affect how pages 16, 14
and 13 were formatted and laid out??
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I lock individual pages in a long document?

Great question! You can definitely lock individual pages in a long document to prevent changes from affecting other pages. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Open your document in Microsoft Word.
  2. Click on the page that you want to lock.
  3. Click on the "Page Layout" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  4. Click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the "Page Setup" section to open the Page Setup dialog box.
  5. In the Page Setup dialog box, click on the "Layout" tab.
  6. Under the "Page" section, check the box next to "Different first page" if you want to lock only the first page. If you want to lock multiple pages, select "Apply to:" and choose the pages you want to lock from the drop-down menu.
  7. Click on the "OK" button to close the Page Setup dialog box.

Now the pages you selected will be locked and any changes made to other pages will not affect them. If you want to unlock the pages later, simply follow the same steps and uncheck the box next to "Different first page" or change the "Apply to:" selection to "Whole document".
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel

You can't. Word is a document editor, not a page editor. However, its layout
routines are always forward-looking, so a change on page 15 will not affect
pages 13 or 14 unless there are cross-references.

"Robyn" wrote in message
In creating a long document (50 or so pages) how can I lock pages that are
already editted so that a change on page 15 will not affect how pages 16,
14
and 13 were formatted and laid out??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PopS

"Robyn" wrote in message
: In creating a long document (50 or so pages) how can I lock
pages that are
: already editted so that a change on page 15 will not affect how
pages 16, 14
: and 13 were formatted and laid out??

Start a new section (Insert Section Break) after page 14. Set
Headers/Footers to not be same as Previous, & be careful what you
answer when Apply To is a choice.

OR
Rip out pages 1 - 14 and put them in a new document. Create
separate documents for while you work on them. Set the starting
page # correctly for each document.

There is no foolproof way.

HTH,

Pop

It can't really be done in any foolproof way.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Daiya Mitchell

You might find this article interesting.
http://daiya.mvps.org/wordpages.htm

Section breaks will help, but text will not flow across a section break.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/