Strange printing behaviour

Old September 30th 11, 04:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.drawing.graphics,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Peter T. Daniels

Default Strange printing behaviour

I've been using the HP PhotoSmart All-in-One for four years or so (I'm
surprised they still sell the cartridge for it) and never had that
sort of problem (and didn't have the default-reset problem until I
moved to the Windows 7 laptop).

On Sep 29, 10:29*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I have an HP scanner, and, although it was a huge leap forward from my
previous (very slow) scanner, it has a wretched TWAIN interface and scans
everything just ever so slightly crooked. sigh When I finally have to move
to Windows 7 on my desktop, perhaps I'll luck out and find that a W7 driver
is not available for that scanner, giving me the excuse to get a new one.
g What really drives me crazy about it is that the underside of the glass
is kind of fogged, and although I've removed the glass and cleaned it,
everything I do just seems to make the situation worse. Amazingly, it
doesn't seem to affect the scan quality noticeably, but it still bugs me.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message

I avoid them, discouraged by all the stories I read here and in the
Microsoft forums. :-)

I did purchase an HP scanner the other year, and I had a lot of trouble
with the driver, which kept reporting that a file was missing. An update
improved the situation, but I finally decided to get rid of the scanner
anyway.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I've had nothing but HP printers and no problems printing from any MS
programs. But I guess I've just been lucky.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Good point. HP does complicate matters, and for some reason there
drivers never seem to work well with Microsoft products...

Obviously I meant to write THEIR drivers, not "there."

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP- Hide quoted text -

Old October 3rd 11, 12:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.drawing.graphics,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom[_3_]

It could be some strange kind of corruption. What happens if you copy the content, minus the final paragraph mark, into a new document? (To show/hide paragraph marks, press the button on the Home tab or on the Standard toolbar if you are using a version prior to Word 2007.)

For more on document corruption, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

On 2011-09-30 01:54, Finn Stampe Mikkelsen wrote:

"Peter T. Daniels" skrev i meddelelsen ...

My HP PhotoSmart printer defaults to "Grayscale." I have to remember
to click "Properties" in the Print dialog every time I open a document
and change the Shortcut setting to "Economical" (or whatever it's
called) and the Color setting to "Color." Maybe Word likes to override
whatever your printer's defaults are, and you have to manually reset
them through "Properties" every time.

There may be some possible way that would happen, but it is not likely to be the case here..

Like i said, the picture is printed in full color if i cut out the text of the excisting document and also if i move the picture to the start of the document prior to the text..

This makes no sense to me other that for some reason the text has adapted some setting that instructs the rest of the document to be printed in greyscale..

I have never heard of this before and i'm very puzzled about this..

/Finn

Old October 6th 11, 06:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.drawing.graphics,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Finn Stampe Mikkelsen

The document does not seem to be corrupted.. I've shown all paragraph marks (and other formatting marks) and they all seem to be in
order...

Funny thing is, that beside the behavior described (moving the picture to the front = color pic), the document prints fine in a Word
2007 i have installed on another computer. My current word is version 2010....

I have tried to remove and reinstall printer drivers from scratch without any change in behavior.... The Word 2007 print to the same
printer, Brother DSP-9045CDN Network Printer... Both computers are on the same network....

I have tried to copy the document into a new document, then inserted the pic from scratch in that new document, with the same
result...

/Finn
++++

===================

Old October 6th 11, 08:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.drawing.graphics,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom[_3_]

Document corruption doesn't always "show" just by looking at a document...

What about the other computer, the one where things do work? Is it using a different operating system? In that case, the drivers are almost certainly different, which could explain the issue. Have you tried updating the driver on the problem machine (go to Brother's web site)?

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old October 6th 11, 05:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.drawing.graphics,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Finn Stampe Mikkelsen

I'm aware that errors are not always visible to the naked eye.

I have used the same document on both machines, which should cause the error (if present) should be present in both cases.

As for the other machine, it is using Vista/Word 2007. Here it works fine. This machine uses Win7/Word 2010. Here it does not work.

I believe the drivers, as i can find out, are similar on Win7/Vista...

As for using latest drivers, i can answer that with yes. I removed the driver from Win7 and reinstalled the printer using lates
drivers from Brothers website...

Old October 7th 11, 11:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.drawing.graphics,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom[_3_]

I'm running out of ideas here.... :-(

Have you tried saving to PDF and printing the PDF? Does that work properly?

Old October 7th 11, 12:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.drawing.graphics,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Finn Stampe Mikkelsen

I'm also out of ideas...

Yes, i have tried to print it to PDF, with the same results...

Meanwhile i have also tried to print it from a third computer. Same unchanged document, Win7/Word 2010 installation, and here it
prints fine with full color picture...

I'm flabergasted....

On 2011-09-30 01:54, Finn Stampe Mikkelsen wrote:

[...]

Strange word behaviour lchow Microsoft Word Help 3 May 21st 09 10:44 PM
Strange Tables behaviour Madhur Tables 3 January 23rd 08 02:51 AM
observing strange Word behaviour bluelagoon_HP Microsoft Word Help 0 October 18th 07 10:06 PM
Strange Word behaviour AlexR Microsoft Word Help 2 November 8th 06 05:11 PM
Strange cursor behaviour Jane H Microsoft Word Help 1 December 6th 04 06:20 PM