Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Art Nittskoff Art Nittskoff is offline

Default insert picture or text box across 2 columns WITHOUT column line

I do a newsletter using 2 columns with a line in between.

I would like to place a picture in the center of the page. I have it
formatted with text wrap close. The line dividing the columns goes down the
middle of the picture (or text box). It does not matter if I say put to front
or put to back.

How can I make the line NOT be over the picture, but be on the rest of the
page?
--
Thanks Very Much!

Art Nittskoff
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: insert picture or text box across 2 columns WITHOUT column line

Hi Art,

To insert a picture or text box across 2 columns without the column line, you can follow these steps:
  1. Place your cursor where you want to insert the picture or text box.
  2. Click on the "Page Layout" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on "Columns" and select "Two" to set up the two-column layout.
  4. Place your picture or text box in the center of the page and format it with text wrap close.
  5. Right-click on the picture or text box and select "Wrap Text" "In Front of Text" to bring it to the front of the page.
  6. Right-click on the column line and select "Format Columns".
  7. In the "Columns" dialog box, select "Line between" under "Presets" and click "OK".
  8. The line should now be on the rest of the page but not over the picture or text box.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Williamroy Williamroy is offline

There are 2 things I would try:
1. Set the text wrapping for the picture to "In front of text" - this is not
setting the order, but part of Format Picture
2. If you are using a drawing object for the column line, make sure it is
set to text wrap "behind text" , and also be sure to set it's order to "Send
to the back"

"Art Nittskoff" wrote:

I do a newsletter using 2 columns with a line in between.

I would like to place a picture in the center of the page. I have it
formatted with text wrap close. The line dividing the columns goes down the
middle of the picture (or text box). It does not matter if I say put to front
or put to back.

How can I make the line NOT be over the picture, but be on the rest of the
page?
--
Thanks Very Much!

Art Nittskoff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Art Nittskoff Art Nittskoff is offline

Default insert picture or text box across 2 columns WITHOUT column lin

I tried setting to "In front of text" and that covers the line..but it also
covers the text in the 2 columns.

I have the line put in automatically in the "page layout - columns" option,
put a line in.

You did give me an idea, maybe I will just draw a line manually...but that
is harder, I figure that has to be a way to do this.

--
Thanks Very Much!

Art Nittskoff

"Art Nittskoff" wrote:

I do a newsletter using 2 columns with a line in between.

I would like to place a picture in the center of the page. I have it
formatted with text wrap close. The line dividing the columns goes down the
middle of the picture (or text box). It does not matter if I say put to front
or put to back.

How can I make the line NOT be over the picture, but be on the rest of the
page?
--
Thanks Very Much!

Art Nittskoff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Set the picture's wrapping to Top & Bottom, Square or Tight.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 8/28/09 3:49 PM, in article
, "Art Nittskoff"
wrote:

I tried setting to "In front of text" and that covers the line..but it also
covers the text in the 2 columns.

I have the line put in automatically in the "page layout - columns" option,
put a line in.

You did give me an idea, maybe I will just draw a line manually...but that
is harder, I figure that has to be a way to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Art Nittskoff Art Nittskoff is offline

The column divide line still goes down thru the middle of the picture, even
if I change it to top or bottom, or square or tight.
--
Thanks Very Much!

Art Nittskoff

wrote:

I tried setting to "In front of text" and that covers the line..but it also
covers the text in the 2 columns.

I have the line put in automatically in the "page layout - columns" option,
put a line in.

You did give me an idea, maybe I will just draw a line manually...but that
is harder, I figure that has to be a way to do this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Are you referring to a *picture* or a text box? You've used both terms but
they are *not* the same thing. If you're actually dealing with a text box
you need to apply a [white?] Fill. Text boxes have no Fill by default which
would explain why the Column separator line is showing through.

If it actually is a picture, exactly what type of "picture" is it? Is it
positioned in a Header/Footer? Please be as explicit as you can about what
it is & where it is.

No offense -- I'm not saying you aren't seeing what you're seeing -- but
what you're describing is virtually impossible unless (a) there is something
you're not disclosing (such as a transparency issue) or (b) there is
something seriously wrong. The separator line between columns is a part of
the text body component of the document, whereas floating graphic objects
are not. Floating graphics are in a separate "layer" of the document, either
beneath [Headers/Footers] or in front of the text layer. All text wrapping
options except Behind Text & Through make the object float atop (or in front
of) the text layer.

Also, what version of Word are you using & where did the picture come from?

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 8/28/09 4:40 PM, in article
, "Art Nittskoff"
wrote:

The column divide line still goes down thru the middle of the picture, even
if I change it to top or bottom, or square or tight.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Art Nittskoff Art Nittskoff is offline

Bob,

I will try to give you as many details as I can.

I have tried this with a picture (jpg) and a text box and the results are
the same.

I am using office 2007

I get the picture from my hard drive. I hit insert picture, click on the one
I want, and it inserts it.

To get that line I am talking about, I go to page layout, columns and check
the line between box.

Then I right click it and hit format. I click text wrap and then hit tight.

If I put the picture in the middle of the two colums, it shows the column
dividing line thru the middle. Just in case this was only a screen issue, I
also printed it and the line is there.

I have never adjusted transparency (nor do I know how), so I do not know if
that is an issue.

I sure appreciate all the help. If it helps, I can email you the file. You
can email me at and tell me where to send it.
--
Thanks Very Much!

Art Nittskoff

wrote:

The column divide line still goes down thru the middle of the picture, even
if I change it to top or bottom, or square or tight.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I think the problem is with the Tight wrap. If you set the wrapping to In
Front of Text, you would not see the line, but you also wouldn't be able to
wrap the text tightly around the picture.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote:

The column divide line still goes down thru the middle of the picture,
even
if I change it to top or bottom, or square or tight.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Art Nittskoff Art Nittskoff is offline

I have tried all the different wraps. I really need the tight wrap. Is this a
bug in the program?
--
Thanks Very Much!

Art Nittskoff

wrote:

The column divide line still goes down thru the middle of the picture,
even
if I change it to top or bottom, or square or tight.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Art Nittskoff Art Nittskoff is offline

I really like the look of the line. I have figured out a work around. I will
just draw the line where I want manually.

Thanks!
--
Thanks Very Much!

Art Nittskoff

wrote:

The column divide line still goes down thru the middle of the
picture,
even
if I change it to top or bottom, or square or tight.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

OK - As Suzanne suggested, Word 2007 is a bit of a maverick in a number of
ways... This is one of them. Right-click the picture, point to Bring to
Front & select Bring In Front of Text.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 8/29/09 1:34 PM, in article
, "Art Nittskoff"
wrote:

I really like the look of the line. I have figured out a work around. I will
just draw the line where I want manually.

Thanks!

GeoNeo54 GeoNeo54 is offline
Junior Member

The problem is not in the wrapping as most have stated. Click on your picture and click drawing tools and then find the drop down for bring forward and click its down arrow and choose Bring in front of text. That should work for text boxes or pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamroy View Post

"Art Nittskoff" wrote:

I do a newsletter using 2 columns with a line in between.

I would like to place a picture in the center of the page. I have it
formatted with text wrap close. The line dividing the columns goes down the
middle of the picture (or text box). It does not matter if I say put to front
or put to back.

How can I make the line NOT be over the picture, but be on the rest of the
page?
--
Thanks Very Much!

Art Nittskoff
Ursul Ursul is offline
Junior Member

First of all why use a text box to insert a description of a picture??

Select the picture, go to the References tab (yep it's there just not used much!) and select "Insert Caption" - much better than having floating boxes and pictures everywhere!

Secondly, why not use Tables (2 columns x 1 row) and insert your pictures or whatever inside them, then you can also select any line you want highlighted - even the one in the center. Working with columns is a nightmare for the uninitiated!

Cheers

Last edited by Ursul : August 22nd 13 at 10:42 AM