Acrobat can't find text in distilled Word 2011 docs, some TTF fonts

Old July 1st 11, 04:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mac,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Tim Murray

Default Acrobat can't find text in distilled Word 2011 docs, some TTF fonts

The products I have are Mac OS 10.6.8, Acrobat X, and Word 2011 for Mac;
Acrobat 9 and Word 2007 for Windows XP.

There are numerous ways to create PDFs from Word on both platforms, whether
through save as or creating a PostScript file and distilling it. The
problem is that with docs I have using Calibri, Cambria, and Candara, if I
distill a PostScript file made from Mac Word, Acrobat cannot find text in
the PDF, whether the file distilled with Mac or Windows Distiller. (Meaning
a "find" for a string comes up as not found.) All other combinations are
okay, even writing a PS file in Windows Word and distilling with Mac
Distiller.

I mention the fonts specifically because most of the time I use OTF faces,
which always work. I even tried using the Windows TTF versions in the Mac
operating system -- same thing.

And even if I force these fonts to be embedded in the Distiller job
options, still no joy. If I take so much as a comma and set it to an OTF, I
can find the comma.

The reason why I care about this is because the distilled PFDs are just a
tiny bit better looking on the screen. The only other one that looks as
good is the Create PDF button in Windows Word, but I would rather not have
to use Windows just to get a better-looking PDF.

Old July 3rd 11, 02:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mac,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Tim Murray

Also, Acrobat *can* find text in a Visio flowchart placed in the Word doc.
I don't know how the author place it there, but it's probably copy from
Visio, paste into Word.

Also, Mac Preview behaves the same -- it can't find text in body copy, but
does find it in the Visio.

Old July 3rd 11, 02:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mac,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Tim Murray

Tim Murray wrote:
Also, Acrobat *can* find text in a Visio flowchart placed in the Word doc.
I don't know how the author place it there, but it's probably copy from
Visio, paste into Word.

Also, Mac Preview behaves the same -- it can't find text in body copy, but
does find it in the Visio.

Whoops, should have checked this first: The Visio chart uses Arial.