Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melanie Wagner Melanie Wagner is offline

Default Using Same Combo Box Multiple Times

I have created a combo box to put in a form, but I need to use it multiple
times in the same form. When I put it in the first time it works great, but
then I hit enter and try to put the same combo box on the second line it
changes the first line information when I choose an item from the combo box.
I have 12 items in the combo box and it is possible to need 1 or 2 of them or
all twelve, so I set up bulleted numbers 1-12 in the Word doc and would like
to use the same combo box choices for each line, but it is changing the first
line no matter which bullet 1-12 that I am on. Can someone please help????!!!

Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Tools from the control toolbox are not really compatible with Word forms.
Use dropdown form fields from the forms toolbar. I take it that you want to
grab a different selection from the dropdown on each of the twelve occasions
it is used? If you want the same selection use REF fields.

Melanie Wagner wrote:
I have created a combo box to put in a form, but I need to use it
multiple times in the same form. When I put it in the first time it
works great, but then I hit enter and try to put the same combo box
on the second line it changes the first line information when I
choose an item from the combo box. I have 12 items in the combo box
and it is possible to need 1 or 2 of them or all twelve, so I set up
bulleted numbers 1-12 in the Word doc and would like to use the same
combo box choices for each line, but it is changing the first line no
matter which bullet 1-12 that I am on. Can someone please help????!!!

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melanie Wagner Melanie Wagner is offline

If I remember correctly the dropdown form fields do not work as there is a
limit to the amount of letters you can put in each dropdown box and I need to
put an entire sentence in each one. Any other options for completing this?

Melanie Wagner wrote:
I have created a combo box to put in a form, but I need to use it
multiple times in the same form. When I put it in the first time it
works great, but then I hit enter and try to put the same combo box
on the second line it changes the first line information when I
choose an item from the combo box. I have 12 items in the combo box
and it is possible to need 1 or 2 of them or all twelve, so I set up
bulleted numbers 1-12 in the Word doc and would like to use the same
combo box choices for each line, but it is changing the first line no
matter which bullet 1-12 that I am on. Can someone please help????!!!

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melanie Wagner Melanie Wagner is offline

I thank you for the link. I am still a little fuzzy on some things though. I
don't have a lot of macro experience as I am sure you have noticed. I can get
the drop-down form field into my document, but not sure how to link the
macro. Do I create it the same as I was doing with a combo box on the VBS
side of things? Also, are the conditional fields inserted where the are in
the 5th line of the macro? Not sure where to insert those. I know you
mentioned that you could do this with insert autotext entries, which may be
better for what I am doing, but are those limited to a certain number of
characters? If not I think this would be best for me. Would I just follow
the same instructions but instead of the document links enter the auto text I
would like in the boxes?

Thank you so much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Melanie Wagner wrote:
I have created a combo box to put in a form, but I need to use it
multiple times in the same form. When I put it in the first time it
works great, but then I hit enter and try to put the same combo box
on the second line it changes the first line information when I
choose an item from the combo box. I have 12 items in the combo box
and it is possible to need 1 or 2 of them or all twelve, so I set up
bulleted numbers 1-12 in the Word doc and would like to use the same
combo box choices for each line, but it is changing the first line
no matter which bullet 1-12 that I am on. Can someone please
help????!!!

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The macro is run on exit from the dropdown field (as shown in the dialog box
illustrations). The first example inserts the file based on the result where
the fields are placed - the second inserts it at the end of the document.
Autotext entries can be many pages long. That shouldn't be an issue if you
prefer autotext. In the first example instead of using IncludeText fields
you would use Autotext fields.
If you don't want both the fields and the results to be displayed the you
should be looking at userforms to make the selection. Word MVP FAQ -
Userforms
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms.htm