Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] 418928@cepsz.unizar.es is offline

Default Problems with subdocuments

Hi everybody,

I have a master document with several subdocuments. But I find the
following problems:

-Sometimes I cannot insert a subdocument unless I put it within
another subdocument (I cannot place the insertion point otherwise). Is
there any way to avoid this?

-Sometimes, when I try to put closer two subdocuments (by removing
blank lines between them), Word automatically merges then. Can I avoid
this behavior?

-In general, I don't understand how to control the structure of
subdocuments, how can I avoid subdocuments nested within other
documents (does this make sense? why is it useful?), etc.

-Finally, I would like to know if it's possible to save the whole
document as a word document without subdocuments, that is, replacing
the subdocuments by their current content forever.

Thanks in advance,

Sergio

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Most of the people posting here dont know much about master documents
or subdocuments, because:

Why Master Documents corrupt:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ocsCorrupt.htm

How to recover a Master Document:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...MasterDocs.htm

Steve Hudson [Word Heretic] on how to make Master Documents work safely:
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ma...dhomepage.html

You might also check these links for potential workarounds:

Creating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents

See the €œNumber Pages Across Files€ section at this link:
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...r/MiscFram.htm

IncludeText Fields can partially substitute for the Master Document
feature€”for an introduction to them, see he
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...textfields.htm

Word experts generally advise combining long documents into one file, if
possible, and you will find more information on controlling those big
files he
http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm