Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simpson McCarry Simpson McCarry is offline

Default How do I delete empty header and footer space from my documents?

How do I delete empty header and footer space from my documents and get their
space allocation back at the default setting? I've tried the recommended
strategies: eliminating paragraph marks, attempting but not succeeding at
adjusting the vertical margins/ruler. I did the Detect and Repair thing. I
still cannot get rid of the space (and there's a lot of it). Please help.
Thank you.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I delete empty header and footer space from my documents?

To delete empty header and footer space from your document, you can follow these steps:
  1. Double-click on the header or footer area to activate it.
  2. Click on the "Header & Footer Tools" tab that appears.
  3. In the "Navigation" group, click on the "Link to Previous" button to turn it off. This will allow you to edit the header/footer separately from the previous section.
  4. Highlight the empty space in the header/footer area and press the "Delete" key on your keyboard.
  5. If the empty space is still there, try adjusting the header/footer margins. To do this, click on the "Page Layout" tab and then click on "Margins." From there, select "Custom Margins" and adjust the header/footer margins to your liking.
  6. If the above steps don't work, you can try removing any hidden formatting that may be causing the issue. To do this, click on the "Home" tab and then click on the "Show/Hide" button (it looks like a paragraph symbol). This will reveal any hidden formatting in your document. Look for any hidden paragraph marks or other formatting that may be causing the empty space and delete them.
  7. Once you've deleted the empty space, you can turn "Link to Previous" back on if you want the header/footer to be the same throughout the document.

I hope these steps help you delete the empty header/footer space from your document.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Word 2002 and 2003, once you have ever touched the header or footer there
will be an empty paragraph there that you can't delete. The only recourse is
to change the header and footer margins to 0" (on the Layout tab of Page
Setup). If you're seeing an inordinate amount of header space, make sure the
vertical alignment of the document is set to Top and not Center (Layout tab
of Page Setup).

"Simpson McCarry" Simpson wrote in
message ...
How do I delete empty header and footer space from my documents and get

their
space allocation back at the default setting? I've tried the recommended
strategies: eliminating paragraph marks, attempting but not succeeding at
adjusting the vertical margins/ruler. I did the Detect and Repair thing. I
still cannot get rid of the space (and there's a lot of it). Please help.
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

It really isn't clear (to me) what you are describing, nor do you indicate
what version of Word, but best guess 'til something better comes along (if
Word 2003) is take a look @ FilePage SetUpLayout to make sure that your
Header margin isn't set to something more than .5" - If this is a problem
occurring in *new* documents as well, click the Default button to update
Normal.dot before you OK out.

Should I have misunderstood, please post back with additional descriptive
detail.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Simpson McCarry" Simpson wrote in
message ...
How do I delete empty header and footer space from my documents and get
their
space allocation back at the default setting? I've tried the recommended
strategies: eliminating paragraph marks, attempting but not succeeding at
adjusting the vertical margins/ruler. I did the Detect and Repair thing. I
still cannot get rid of the space (and there's a lot of it). Please help.
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simpson McCarry Simpson McCarry is offline

Default How do I delete empty header and footer space from my document

Thank you for your prompt and clear reply to my query. Your instructions
worked on the document I was working on, but the next one I called up did not
retain the changes. Please advise. Thank you.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simpson McCarry Simpson McCarry is offline

Thanks for pointing out the use of the Default button. I think the problem is
now resolved thanks to Barnhill (see email) and you. My apologies for lack of
specificity in my query.

"CyberTaz" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Note that changing the header and footer margins to 0" in Normal.dot is
really not a good idea. If you don't have anything else you need to keep in
Normal.dot, you'd do better to rename it and let Word build a fresh one (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...cNotBlank.htm). Be careful not to
touch the header or footer in Normal.dot, only in documents, and you should
be okay.

"Simpson McCarry" wrote in
message ...