Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lifesnadir Lifesnadir is offline

Default Office-Word 2003-SP1 - Can Style be create for existing documents?

Office-Word 2003-SP1

I create long documents of 1,000+ pages. I'd like to learn Styles to
control the 'Wild Word.'

1. Can I apply Styles to an existing document? Is there anything I'd need
to do first before trying to apply Styles?

2. Can someone give me easy beginning steps to create a Style template for
this document?

The document has:
1. text paragraphs
2. long lists of bulletted items, using different types of bullets
3. tables made in Frontpage (because they look nicer than Word Tables)
4. Chapter titles and sub-titles

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire Joe McGuire is offline

I cannot imagine creating long documents and making them look professional
without using Styles. You will learn that Word already uses Styles in every
document even though many Word users (perhaps the majority??) have no idea
of this. Here are some useful references to get started. You probably
already know this, of course, but there is a learning curve involved--and be
sure to back up your documents while you learn how to improve them with
styles.

http://shaunakelly.com/word/ Read the chapters on Styles
http://daiya.mvps.org/index.htm See Creating Books and Long Documents

"Lifesnadir" wrote in message
Office-Word 2003-SP1

I create long documents of 1,000+ pages. I'd like to learn Styles to
control the 'Wild Word.'

1. Can I apply Styles to an existing document? Is there anything I'd need
to do first before trying to apply Styles?

2. Can someone give me easy beginning steps to create a Style template for
this document?

The document has:
1. text paragraphs
2. long lists of bulletted items, using different types of bullets
3. tables made in Frontpage (because they look nicer than Word Tables)
4. Chapter titles and sub-titles

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The following was originally posted by fellow MVP, Shauna Kelly whose
website you should take a look at.

For information about how to set up the numbering, see:
How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft Word
document
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

If you create a template to hold your numbering scheme, you can use that
template as the basis for new documents (using File New) and the new
documents will then inherit your numbering scheme. To do that, see:

Creating a Template - The Basics (Part I)
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...platePart1.htm

Creating a Template (Part II)
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

Unquote
--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Lifesnadir" wrote in message
Office-Word 2003-SP1

I create long documents of 1,000+ pages. I'd like to learn Styles to
control the 'Wild Word.'

1. Can I apply Styles to an existing document? Is there anything I'd need
to do first before trying to apply Styles?

2. Can someone give me easy beginning steps to create a Style template for
this document?

The document has:
1. text paragraphs
2. long lists of bulletted items, using different types of bullets
3. tables made in Frontpage (because they look nicer than Word Tables)
4. Chapter titles and sub-titles

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lifesnadir Lifesnadir is offline

Default Office-Word 2003-SP1 - Can Style be create for existing docume

I was having trouble with both links.

The first is found at http://shaunakelly.com/ - Word is the main page.

I have not found the other site but will keep trying.

Thank you very much for your reply and help.

Lifes