Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
63Expert 63Expert is offline

Default How can I have a user force a new page from a template/form?

I'm doing my very first form. I took a scan of an original form and placed
it in a text box in the header, so it was in the background (somewhat like a
watermark). Then I used frames in the blank spots on the form, so the user
could fill in the form. I also inserted text form fields inside of those
frames.

My problem is, that this is an inventory form. I'm trying to figure out
how, once they reach the bottom of the page, that they can check a box
"another page follows" and it will bring up another page exactly like the
first and the can continue on. I would rather not do this in a macro, so I
can share it with no issues.

Any suggestions?
Kel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 23:19:01 -0700, 63Expert
wrote:

I'm doing my very first form. I took a scan of an original form and placed
it in a text box in the header, so it was in the background (somewhat like a
watermark). Then I used frames in the blank spots on the form, so the user
could fill in the form. I also inserted text form fields inside of those
frames.

My problem is, that this is an inventory form. I'm trying to figure out
how, once they reach the bottom of the page, that they can check a box
"another page follows" and it will bring up another page exactly like the
first and the can continue on. I would rather not do this in a macro, so I
can share it with no issues.

Any suggestions?
Kel

It's nearly hopeless, even with a macro. Word simply wasn't built with this in
mind.

If you don't mind spending a lot more time to rebuild your form, you could try
it this way:

- Remove all the frames and form fields.

- Insert a table. Turn off its borders (Ctrl+Alt+U) but leave the gridlines
turned on (Table Show Gridlines) while you're working.

- Turn off column width autoformatting by clicking Table AutoFit Fixed
Column Width.

- By setting exact row heights, merging and splitting cells, and using the
pencil and eraser tools on the Table toolbar, force the table into shape so
there is a cell in each location where you need text entry. Insert text form
fields into the necessary cells.

- Select the first cell of the first row, go to Format Paragraph Line & Page
Breaks, and check the box for Page Break Before.

- Select the whole finished table and create an AutoText entry.

Now, the difficult part: Inserting a copy of this AutoText entry after the first
table will create a new page with a new table. But... If the form is protected
for forms, which it should be to make the form fields active, then there is no
way to insert anything outside any of the existing form fields, unless the form
is temporarily unprotected.

Usually the solution is to write a macro that unprotects the form, inserts the
AutoText, and reprotects the form. That macro can be called from a toolbar
button that says "Make a new page" or something like that. If you're sure you
can't use a macro, then the only alternative is to give your users instructions
for how to do all that manually. Personally, I'd rather hand them a pistol and
say "Point this at your foot..."

My best advice is to look up Microsoft InfoPath at
http://office.microsoft.com/infopath.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Autopopulate user data into Template/Form fields Krystal Microsoft Word Help 1 February 23rd 07 07:38 PM
Force document save from template Ian New Users 1 August 23rd 06 03:10 AM
Force View for User C Page Layout 1 February 9th 06 09:47 PM
Is there a way to force text wrapping in form fields Sid1962 Microsoft Word Help 1 November 4th 05 04:05 PM
How do you force a Save As in a Word based form? Diane R. Microsoft Word Help 2 January 12th 05 05:59 PM