Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frank Frank is offline

Default Unwanted break within paragraph

I'm editing a document created by someone else.
Anyway, there is what appears to be an automatic page break (dotted line, no
"Page Break" indicated) within a paragraph. I can't get rid of it.
Help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frank Frank is offline

Good question...it might be but widow/orphan control is selected above &
below as far as I can tell.

"Frank" wrote:

I'm editing a document created by someone else.
Anyway, there is what appears to be an automatic page break (dotted line, no
"Page Break" indicated) within a paragraph. I can't get rid of it.
Help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you're seeing a dotted-line page boundary, then you're in Normal/
Draft View? If you switch to Page View, do you see that the page is
full and that is in fact where the next page has to start?

If you need to not break a paragraph across pages, then go to Format
Paragraph (either for the individual paragraph or for the paragraph
style), the second tab, and check "Keep Lines Together."

"Frank" wrote:

I'm editing a document created by someone else.
Anyway, there is what appears to be an automatic page break (dotted line, no
"Page Break" indicated) within a paragraph. I can't get rid of it.
Help?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frank Frank is offline

Thank you, that does it...it inserts a page break before the paragraph.
But I'm still a little confused; I always thought widow/orphan control did
that.

"Frank" wrote:

I'm editing a document created by someone else.
Anyway, there is what appears to be an automatic page break (dotted line, no
"Page Break" indicated) within a paragraph. I can't get rid of it.
Help?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frank Frank is offline

I should elaborate by saying that only one line of the paragraph appears on
the first page while the balance appears on the next.
It's not as if the paragraph was ten lines with 5 appearing on the first
page and 5 on the second.

"Frank" wrote:

I'm editing a document created by someone else.
Anyway, there is what appears to be an automatic page break (dotted line, no
"Page Break" indicated) within a paragraph. I can't get rid of it.
Help?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If "Widow/orphan control" is enabled for that paragraph, then it should NOT
break as you describe. Have you confirmed that that option is checked
(Format | Paragraph | Line and Page Breaks)?

http://word.mvps.org

"Frank" wrote:

I'm editing a document created by someone else.
Anyway, there is what appears to be an automatic page break
(dotted line, no
"Page Break" indicated) within a paragraph. I can't get rid of
it.
Help?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well ,,, there's a difference between "inserting a page break" (which
ensures a new page wherever that break happens to fall; also achieved
with "page break before" in the Format Paragraph pane) and "keep
lines together" (where you'll only see the effect if the paragraph
starts to run onto the next page).

"Frank" wrote:

I'm editing a document created by someone else.
Anyway, there is what appears to be an automatic page break (dotted line, no
"Page Break" indicated) within a paragraph. I can't get rid of it..
Help?--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frank Frank is offline

Yes, I've checked & re-checked that.
I've checked "Borders & Shading".
I've checked Styles.
Word 2003 by the way.
I can easily work around it in this case but It's Driving me Nuts.

I can tell you one more thing...
this paragraph seems to have ended with a "Form Field" or something which
was a grey box which, when clicked, turned Black and allowed you to type info
into it (I pasted something from the clipboard). Could this have something to
do with it?

There is a paragraph mark on the line before the paragraph in question (an
empty paragraph) and one at the end of the paragraph (after a period).

"Frank" wrote:

I'm editing a document created by someone else.
Anyway, there is what appears to be an automatic page break
(dotted line, no
"Page Break" indicated) within a paragraph. I can't get rid of
it.
Help?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frank Frank is offline

Ah Yes, I see the distinction. Thanks for the clarification, and btw this is
a fine work-around but I'm still perplexed as to why with "Widow/orphan"
checked this paragraph breaks as it does.
Everyone here says I should just move on & forget it (my daughter told me to
just put an "enter" somewhere above it and shut up) but I'm of a curious
nature.

"Frank" wrote:

I'm editing a document created by someone else.
Anyway, there is what appears to be an automatic page break (dotted line, no
"Page Break" indicated) within a paragraph. I can't get rid of it..
Help?--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frank Frank is offline

Yeah, this is wierd. Obviously I'm missing something.
Also, I don't see any graphic objects around; I say this because Suzanne
wrote in another thread some time ago that such things with wrapping enabled
can confuse things.
I've solved the immediate problem but I'm determined to find out what's
going on.
I'm not too familiar with the protocol but I don't suppose I could send the
file to someone to look at?

"Frank" wrote:

I'm editing a document created by someone else.
Anyway, there is what appears to be an automatic page break (dotted line, no
"Page Break" indicated) within a paragraph. I can't get rid of it..
Help?---

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frank Frank is offline

Suzanne! I'm sorry...I didn't see your post earlier!
Pressing Alt+F9 changed everything!
I can't stay, have to go & won't be back til Monday, but page breaks all
seem to have been reset?
What did I do?
Thank you!

"Frank" wrote:

I'm editing a document created by someone else.
Anyway, there is what appears to be an automatic page break
(dotted line, no
"Page Break" indicated) within a paragraph. I can't get rid of
it.
Help?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Displaying field codes will have caused pages to break differently just
because there's more "text." This won't affect the pagination of the final
printed document (unless you opt to print field codes). I just thought that
if there was a form field or the like hiding in the vicinity of the
mysterious page break, that might be an explanation.

I'm leaving town Tuesday, but perhaps we can pursue this on Monday.

http://word.mvps.org

"Frank" wrote:

I'm editing a document created by someone else.
Anyway, there is what appears to be an automatic page break
(dotted line, no
"Page Break" indicated) within a paragraph. I can't get rid
of
it.
Help?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frank Frank is offline

The issue occurs in question 16...between pages 11 & 12.
OOps..very embarassing; I don't know how to do that (send the file that is).

"Frank" wrote:

I'm editing a document created by someone else.
Anyway, there is what appears to be an automatic page break
(dotted line, no
"Page Break" indicated) within a paragraph. I can't get rid
of it..
Help?---

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Attach the file to an email (File | Send To | Mail Recipient as Attachment)
and email it to me.

http://word.mvps.org