Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ava Ava is offline

Default Equation options in Word 2007

How do I change the default font for math regions in the Equation options?
The only option it gives me is Cambria Math. I'd like to use a font that
matches the font I use on the rest of the document.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Ava,

The only font that MS provided with Word 2007 that contains the full set of Mathematical operators that the MS Equation Editor can
use is Cambria Math. You can use the Equation Tools to create a 'normal text' region and cut and paste your math region equation
into that area and apply a different font or paste it outside of the equation object and in either case apply a different font, but
you may find that it changes not just the look but the equation if the same symbol set is not available in your 'other' font.

There may be other fonts that will support this or other equation editors such as http://mathtype.com that you may want to look
into.

===========
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ava Ava is offline

Thank you. That's a lot more work than I want to do! I'm typing tests and
have numerous equations to add. I have math type at work, but the Equation
Editor in Word 2007 is much quicker and easier.
~Ava

"Ava" wrote in message ...
How do I change the default font for math regions in the Equation options?
The only option it gives me is Cambria Math. I'd like to use a font that
matches the font I use on the rest of the document.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Equation
Editor in Word 2007 is much quicker and easier.

I think you must be the only one who thinks so--or at least the first time
I've seen such a comment here!

"Ava" wrote in message
How do I change the default font for math regions in the Equation
options?
The only option it gives me is Cambria Math. I'd like to use a font that
matches the font I use on the rest of the document.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hector Hector is offline

Easy is indeed, but making those changes in font is a pain... and I do have
to have it on the same font as the rest of the document, or the lovely ladies
at the graduate office will detect the inconsistency and violation with the
document writing guides...

regards,

"Ava" wrote in message
How do I change the default font for math regions in the Equation
options?
The only option it gives me is Cambria Math. I'd like to use a font that
matches the font I use on the rest of the document.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy Cindy is offline

Our group has just started to use Office 2007. We are having the same
difficulty with the equation editor. Many of the professional journals that
we submit papers to require the Times New Roman font for all of the
submission text including equations. Are there any easy fixes?

Cindy

"Ava" wrote in message
How do I change the default font for math regions in the Equation
options?
The only option it gives me is Cambria Math. I'd like to use a font that
matches the font I use on the rest of the document.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Cindy

Cindy wrote:
Our group has just started to use Office 2007. We are having the same
difficulty with the equation editor. Many of the professional journals that
we submit papers to require the Times New Roman font for all of the
submission text including equations. Are there any easy fixes?

as long as nobody releases a (similar to) TNR math font, you're stuck
with Bob's workaround. Or you can still use the old Equation Editor
(Insert | Text | Object | Object: Equation Editor 3.0).

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

Cindy, I waited this long to respond because I was waiting to see if
someone else would respond first. Since the company I work for creates
and sells the product that solves this problem, it sometimes comes
across better if someone else makes the recommendation rather than me.
In fact, Bob Buckland in an early part of this thread mentioned our
product MathType and gave our URL. So, that brings me to the answer to
your question.

You asked if there are any easy fixes. That depends on what you're
constraints are. The two constraints you mention are that you're using
Word 2007 and you must use TNR font. You didn't say if you're
constrained to using the "new" equation writer in Word 2007. If so,
then not only are there no "easy" fixes, there are no fixes period.

If you can use other tools for the equations then there are two fixes,
both of which are easy and practical. One fix involves using the same
Equation Editor that shipped with earlier versions of Office. Some
people don't realize this editor (aka "Microsoft Equation 3.0") is
available in Office 2007. Access it with the same command as in
earlier versions: Insert Object. With Equation Editor, you can use
any font or any size font you want. There's no way to directly add it
to the toolbar, but we have an article on our website that shows how
to add it in a more indirect way:
http://www.dessci.com/en/support/mat...tsn/tsn124.htm

That product -- Equation Editor -- is free, because it already comes
with Office. The other solution is the more comprehensive product,
MathType, which includes more fonts, more symbols & templates, and
other features that matter to some people. For a full list of features
and a comparison of MathType with Equation Editor, see our website
(link in my signature).

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Bob

Bob Mathews wrote:
You asked if there are any easy fixes. That depends on what you're
constraints are. The two constraints you mention are that you're using
Word 2007 and you must use TNR font. You didn't say if you're
constrained to using the "new" equation writer in Word 2007. If so,
then not only are there no "easy" fixes, there are no fixes period.

I _think_ there would be a solution: developing a TNR math font.

Certainly not a task for your typical end-user, granted ... :-)

0.2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On 10-Jun-2008, "Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

I _think_ there would be a solution: developing a TNR math font.

Certainly not a task for your typical end-user, granted ... :-)

Yep, and certainly a lot of math glyphs to create. I'll get on that
tomorrow. ;-)

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Robert,

The Cambria and Cambria Math fonts are not entirely dissimilar to Times New Roman (especially if you reduce the character spacing by
around 0.26pts g , but rather than go that route, there is a math font set based on Times New Roman that was to be released in
April g. The site was just updated to move that date to August http://stixfonts.org/finalsteps.html

With the sponsor list at the bottom of that page there's a good chance that it will be accepted by publications g. For me, a
bigger issue is the really terrible quality of the Equation graphic representation generated by Word when an equation is saved to
PDF or as a .doc file. MS Research has come up with a better resolution to solve a related problem, so perhaps there's hope for
this. There are likely more places/publications/schools that will insist on receiving Word documents in .doc format and that would
find the 'equations' to be less than ideal, which would tend to reduce the folks working with the Word 2007 Math/Equation tools.

===========
"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote in message ...
Hello Bob
I _think_ there would be a solution: developing a TNR math font.

Certainly not a task for your typical end-user, granted ... :-)

0.2cents
Robert
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Vincent Vincent is offline

Hello Bob

I tried to utilize the fonts Computer Modern
(http://canopus.iacp.dvo.ru/~panov/cm.../download.html) and Latin Modern
(http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-fo...odern/download) since they
are used often in type-setting Mathematics equations to replace Cambria Math.
However, I can't seem to find a way to do so. Any help?

Vincent
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lars Lars is offline

Thank you Bob!!
The step-by-step procedure on your web worked perfectly

"Bob Mathews" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On 23-Dec-2008, Cindy wrote:

Thank you Bob!!
The step-by-step procedure on your web worked perfectly

Glad to help, Cindy.

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

Glad it worked out; thanks for the feedback.

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType
MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor