Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
ISSBA ISSBA is offline

Default How to leave a blank line

I have an excel document that is my source. It has several fields set up for
names and $ amounts. When I merge that to my Word if any of the fields
should be blank, and are blank on the excel, the merge isn't leaving it
blank. Instead it shifts the next line up into the blank lines place.

How do I format the field to keep the blank and not shift the next line's
data up?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Which version of Word/Excel?

How are you connecting? (It doesn't matter if you do not know the answer to
this one.)

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"ISSBA" wrote in message
I have an excel document that is my source. It has several fields set up
for
names and $ amounts. When I merge that to my Word if any of the fields
should be blank, and are blank on the excel, the merge isn't leaving it
blank. Instead it shifts the next line up into the blank lines place.

How do I format the field to keep the blank and not shift the next line's
data up?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Rich/rerat Rich/rerat is offline

ISSBA,
Try this, it works in Word 2003:

Line1: { MERGEFIELD "First_Name" } { MERGEFIELD "Last_Name" }
Line2: { if{ MERGEFIELD "Company" }= "" "" { MERGEFIELD "Company" } }
Line3:{ MERGEFIELD "Street" }
Line4:{ MERGEFIELD "City" }, { MERGEFIELD "State" } { MERGEFIELD
"Postal_Code" }

{ MERGEFIELD "Company" } is the Mergefield that can be blank, substitute the
Field name that represents your Data.
Rich/rerat (RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate

"ISSBA" wrote in message
I have an excel document that is my source. It has several fields set up
for
names and $ amounts. When I merge that to my Word if any of the fields
should be blank, and are blank on the excel, the merge isn't leaving it
blank. Instead it shifts the next line up into the blank lines place.

How do I format the field to keep the blank and not shift the next line's
data up?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

In that case, Rich/rerat's answer is probably the way to go, e.g.
if you are using

{ MERGEFIELD "Last_Name" }
{ MERGEFIELD "Company" }
{ MERGEFIELD "Street" }
{ MERGEFIELD "Postal_Code" }

then if "Street" is blank, you will get the same as if you used

{ MERGEFIELD "Last_Name" }
{ MERGEFIELD "Company" }
{ MERGEFIELD "Postal_Code" }

That's how Word works by default.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"ISSBA" wrote in message
I have an excel document that is my source. It has several fields set
up
for
names and $ amounts. When I merge that to my Word if any of the fields
should be blank, and are blank on the excel, the merge isn't leaving it
blank. Instead it shifts the next line up into the blank lines place.

How do I format the field to keep the blank and not shift the next
line's
data up?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Peter,

As I understand the OP's post, the problem is that the lines for empty fields are being deleted, but the OP wants them retained.

--
Cheers
macropod