Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CEV CEV is offline

Default Opening a protected document

I have a protected Word document that we have forgotten the password for. Is
there any way possible to unprotect this document? Thank You very much.

CEV

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

If it is protected, then open a blank document and use Insert, File and
insert the protected document. This will unlock it.

If it is password protected against opening, then you're stuck. Only
hypnosis or torture is left.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"CEV" wrote in message
:I have a protected Word document that we have forgotten the password for.
Is
: there any way possible to unprotect this document? Thank You very much.
:
: CEV
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ChrisM ChrisM is offline

If it is passworded against opening:
There are lots of programs around that will 'crack' the password in Word
documents (and most other 'secured' Microsoft files).
Do a Google, and you should find somthing that will help.

Be a little careful though, as although most of the programs are legitamate,
inevitably, searching for ways to crack passwords will sometimes lead you to
some of the darker parts of the Web...

Cheers,

Chris.

"CEV" wrote in message
:I have a protected Word document that we have forgotten the password for.
Is
: there any way possible to unprotect this document? Thank You very much.
:
: CEV
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

And those darker parts of the web are filled with all kinds of things that
can and will screw up the stability of your computer.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"CEV" wrote in message
:I have a protected Word document that we have forgotten the password
for.
Is
: there any way possible to unprotect this document? Thank You very much.
:
: CEV
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Unfortunately these programs do not tend to live up to the hype. The demos
and their ability to crack four digit passwords seem impressive enough, but
a complex password can take a seriously long time to crack - and then you
have the dubious pleasure of handing over your credit card details to
someone who cracks passwords for a living - you need to think very carefully
about this.

"CEV" wrote in message
I have a protected Word document that we have forgotten the
password for. Is there any way possible to unprotect this document?
Thank You very much. CEV

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

That is an excellent point..and yet, people do it every day. Scary thought.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"CEV" wrote in message
I have a protected Word document that we have forgotten the
password for. Is there any way possible to unprotect this document?
Thank You very much. CEV

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ChrisM ChrisM is offline

Fair and perfectly valid points, I'm not advocating hacking or hacking
sites, and I'd certainly think twice(maybe even five or six times!) before
giving my credit card details to any 'dodgy' companies/individuals!!
Sometimes, though these things are necessary. A couple of years ago, the
company I was working for for had a couple of important and urgently needed
documents rendered inaccessable with an unknown password (for reasons I
won't go into here).
20 minutes work with google, and a virus scan later, we had a freeware
program that had cleared the passwords within a few seconds.

Not saying it isn't can't be risky some of this sort of thing, but if you
are careful, and use a bit of common sense, there is genuine and useful
stuff to be found.

If you were really worried, and the file was really important, There are
plenty of data recovery companies that could retrieve it for you, but at a
cost.

Cheers,

ChrisM.

"CEV" wrote in message
I have a protected Word document that we have forgotten the
password for. Is there any way possible to unprotect this document?
Thank You very much. CEV

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Neil Neil is offline

Have you tried opening it in OpenOffice.writer?

This program will allow you to open many password protected documents, and
in some but not all cases will even remove the password for you.

HTH

Neil
www.nwarwick.co.uk

"CEV" wrote:

I have a protected Word document that we have forgotten the password for. Is
there any way possible to unprotect this document? Thank You very much.

CEV

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Are you going to share the link to this implausible piece of software so
that we can evaluate it in a real world situation. If passwords were that
easy to crack, there would be no point having them. How, for example, would
it cope with the varying levels of encryption that Word can add to a
document?

"CEV" wrote in message
I have a protected Word document that we have forgotten the
password for. Is there any way possible to unprotect this
document? Thank You very much. CEV

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ChrisM ChrisM is offline

OK!
Please don't imply that I'm a liar. All I'm saying is that in a 'Real World'
situation a couple of years ago, when we urgently needed to access a
document that had been password protected, we managed to find a piece of
FreeWare software that solved OUR particular problem on that day. No idea
how it worked, or how it dealt with the technicalities, simply that it
worked.
Don't remember the name of the sofware now, (remember, I said it was a
couple of years - actually, more like 5, thinking about it, and two
companies ago). However, a little research on the subject will show that the
security on most Office products was fairly rudimentary anyway. Maybe in the
latest versions it's a lot stronger, I don't know, you're the expert...

This isn't the software we used, it isn't free, and I don't know if it works
or not, but these people reckon they can unlock any Word document that has
been password protected.. Who knows...
http://lastbit.com/about.asp

Anyway, enough said. All I was trying to do was to help the OP by sharing my
experience of a similar situation. Unfortunatly I couldn't tell him the
exact piece of software that we used, but though it was worth letting him
know we had managed to solve our instance of the problem.

Goodbye.

"CEV" wrote in message
I have a protected Word document that we have forgotten the
password for. Is there any way possible to unprotect this
document? Thank You very much. CEV

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] rharris9788@gmail.com is offline