Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JudyDeak JudyDeak is offline

Default my global Normal.dot template is corrupted. How do I fix it?

I have a new job and it is to tailor all user manuals to the same format.
Each manual has different style tags for headings, paragraphs, lists, ect.
How can I remove (delete) the old style tags and apply only the new styes
that will be common to all documentation?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

Not easily!

I suggest that you create a new template and add all the new styles that you
want. Do not base any of these styles on normal.dot. You can base them on no
style or what I normally do is create a 'basic style' which is based on no
style for a template and then base all the new style formats on the basic
style (except Outline Headings or number Styles which are based on the
previous levels).

Then you need to insert each manual into a document based on your new
template. You can try AutoFormat which theoretically will go through and
replace all the formatting with your newly formatted styles (but I find this
is not too reliable); what you may have to do is to remove all formatting by
SelectAll and then use Ctrl+Spacebar and Ctrl+Q to remove all formatting.
Then go through and apply all the correct styles.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"JudyDeak" wrote in message
:I have a new job and it is to tailor all user manuals to the same format.
: Each manual has different style tags for headings, paragraphs, lists, ect.
: How can I remove (delete) the old style tags and apply only the new styes
: that will be common to all documentation?
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JudyDeak JudyDeak is offline

Thank you. This helps. However I can not remove all of the formatting
because most of the documentation has XML data examples that the developers
cut and paste into the code and this portion of the documents need to have
the same fonts as what the sofware uses or the code blows up. This will be a
time consuming to make all documents universal, but it will be worth it in
the long run.

"JudyDeak" wrote in message
:I have a new job and it is to tailor all user manuals to the same format.
: Each manual has different style tags for headings, paragraphs, lists, ect.
: How can I remove (delete) the old style tags and apply only the new styes
: that will be common to all documentation?
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

You'll have to create a style for the XML code too. The priority must be to
get the developers to start using the style or you may soon be bored
repairing their document! It certainly will be a big project but the results
will be worthwhile. I had a similar task when I started my current job but
the long-term results were worth the effort and badgering of the users. Now
if only I could remove that copy/paste function...

Terry

"JudyDeak" wrote in message
: Thank you. This helps. However I can not remove all of the formatting
: because most of the documentation has XML data examples that the
developers
: cut and paste into the code and this portion of the documents need to have
: the same fonts as what the sofware uses or the code blows up. This will
be a
: time consuming to make all documents universal, but it will be worth it in
: the long run.
:
: "TF" wrote:
:
: Not easily!
:
[...]
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
: "JudyDeak" wrote in message
: ...
: :I have a new job and it is to tailor all user manuals to the same
format.
: : Each manual has different style tags for headings, paragraphs, lists,
ect.
: : How can I remove (delete) the old style tags and apply only the new
styes
: : that will be common to all documentation?
: :
: :
:
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

Your question has nothing to do with your subject line. I'm not sure what
your problems are.
Create a document template with the styles you want. Create your manuals
using that template.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.