Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stan lowtech stan lowtech is offline

Default Unable to open .DOC file. FILE DOWNLOAD box appears

Got a new pc a few months back with Vista home premium. Transferred files
from old pc, was able to open old documents ok. But now when I try to open
any .doc file (including those recently created from email attachments) I get
the "file download" box and when I click "open" the box just pops back up
again. Can open files created with Works and other programs ok. (Sometimes
when I am doing this I get the "Windows Explorer wants to close" message.) I
have the disc to upgrade to Windows 7 which I assume will fix the problem.
Any suggestions for a quick fix in the meantime?