Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SPI 2 SPI 2 is offline

Default What is the file Win386.swp?

Not sure where this should be posted. I am running short on space on my hard
drive and was looking for somethings I could delete when I noticed under C:\
a file called Win386.swp which is taking over a Gig of space. I tried to
open the file and to delete it, but it won't let me. Is it something I can
get rid of without causing problems? If so how do I do it? I'm using MS
Works Suite 2000 which was installed on the computer when I purchased it in
2000. I note that the date on the file in question is April 2004.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chuck Davis Chuck Davis is offline

Good grief. A new 160GB hard drive costs about $50. Install it as a second
drive.
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I think that's your swap file, and you definitely need it.

so
all may benefit.

"SPI 2" SPI wrote in message
Not sure where this should be posted. I am running short on space on my

hard
drive and was looking for somethings I could delete when I noticed under

C:\
a file called Win386.swp which is taking over a Gig of space. I tried to
open the file and to delete it, but it won't let me. Is it something I

can
get rid of without causing problems? If so how do I do it? I'm using MS
Works Suite 2000 which was installed on the computer when I purchased it

in
2000. I note that the date on the file in question is April 2004.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ChrisM ChrisM is offline

It's a really bad idea to just start deleting files that you don't think you
need.
Windows has 100's if not 1000's of files, and many of them are required to
keep everything running smoothly. Delete the wrong one and your Windows
installation could fall over in a big nasty mess.
the SWP file you mention is, as Suzanne pointed out the windows swap file
which is certainly needed.

The best solution is, as someone else suggested, to buy an additional HDD,
they are so cheap now, even the big ones. Fitting it could be a problem if
you're not technical, and maybe you are!, but if not, hopefully you have a
friend/collegue/family member who could help out. Worst case, take it to a
computer shop and they'll install it for a a charge.

If you really need to find space, look at Start-Control Panel-Add/Remove
Programs, and see if there is any software installed that you don't need.
Look in C:\Windows\Temp you should be able to safely delete anything in
there (but make sure no programs are running first). In fact, any file
anywhere with the extension .TMP can PROBABLY go, but I REALLY DON'T
RECOMMEND deleting files unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing.
Look for files that you DO recognise (old documents, spreadsheets etc.) that
you don't need, and back them up/delete them.

Like I said, I really don't recommend trying to delete files unless you are
100% sure of what they do, unless you are desperate for space, and really
can't afford an additional HDD. Then again, getting your PC fixed after
you've broken it by deleting the wrong files will probably cost you more
than a new extra disk anyway!!
"SPI 2" SPI wrote in message
Not sure where this should be posted. I am running short on space on my
hard
drive and was looking for somethings I could delete when I noticed under
C:\
a file called Win386.swp which is taking over a Gig of space. I tried to
open the file and to delete it, but it won't let me. Is it something I
can
get rid of without causing problems? If so how do I do it? I'm using MS
Works Suite 2000 which was installed on the computer when I purchased it
in
2000. I note that the date on the file in question is April 2004.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

To add to what Chris has said, as a general rule (with the exception of
photos, movies, and sound files) data files are not the problem; it's
applications that take up the most space.

"SPI 2" SPI wrote in message
Not sure where this should be posted. I am running short on space on my
hard
drive and was looking for somethings I could delete when I noticed under
C:\
a file called Win386.swp which is taking over a Gig of space. I tried

open the file and to delete it, but it won't let me. Is it something I
can
get rid of without causing problems? If so how do I do it? I'm using

MS
Works Suite 2000 which was installed on the computer when I purchased it
in
2000. I note that the date on the file in question is April 2004.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Entirely agree. Have just bought a new laptop (Tosh A100) with 40 gig hard
disk (ample) but have also bough a USB caddy for $30 (Aust) into which I
plugged the old 40 gig hard drive from my previous laptop. Although the file
system is different (I think) the drive and files can be readily seen on the
new machine. Cheap easy storage and backup.

"SPI 2" SPI wrote in message
Not sure where this should be posted. I am running short on space on my
hard
drive and was looking for somethings I could delete when I noticed under
C:\
a file called Win386.swp which is taking over a Gig of space. I tried to
open the file and to delete it, but it won't let me. Is it something I
can
get rid of without causing problems? If so how do I do it? I'm using MS
Works Suite 2000 which was installed on the computer when I purchased it
in
2000. I note that the date on the file in question is April 2004.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can also reduce its size - Windows is over-generous when it comes to
creating default swap file sizes, but this topic has nothing to do with
Word!

.

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User wrote:
You can delete it, but it will return almost instantly.. get a larger
hard drive.. read this for an understanding of what it is, why it
exists, and how to live with it..

http://www.glencoe.com/norton/online...e.phtml?id=147

"SPI 2" SPI wrote in message
Not sure where this should be posted. I am running short on space
on my hard
drive and was looking for somethings I could delete when I noticed
under C:\
a file called Win386.swp which is taking over a Gig of space. I
tried to open the file and to delete it, but it won't let me. Is it
something I can
get rid of without causing problems? If so how do I do it? I'm
using MS Works Suite 2000 which was installed on the computer when I
purchased it in
2000. I note that the date on the file in question is April 2004.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User is offline

It does when it's size is stopping a 1k Word file from saving.. :-)

--
Mike Hall
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"SPI 2" SPI wrote in message
Not sure where this should be posted. I am running short on space
on my hard
drive and was looking for somethings I could delete when I noticed
under C:\
a file called Win386.swp which is taking over a Gig of space. I
tried to open the file and to delete it, but it won't let me. Is it
something I can
get rid of without causing problems? If so how do I do it? I'm
using MS Works Suite 2000 which was installed on the computer when I
purchased it in
2000. I note that the date on the file in question is April 2004.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User is offline

What better case for reducing the Win 9x/ME swapfile.. :-)

--
Mike Hall
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"SPI 2" SPI wrote in message
Not sure where this should be posted. I am running short on space
on my hard
drive and was looking for somethings I could delete when I noticed
under C:\
a file called Win386.swp which is taking over a Gig of space. I
tried to open the file and to delete it, but it won't let me. Is it
something I can
get rid of without causing problems? If so how do I do it? I'm
using MS Works Suite 2000 which was installed on the computer when I
purchased it in
2000. I note that the date on the file in question is April 2004.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
BrownBullhead BrownBullhead is offline

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 22:32:56 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

I think that's your swap file, and you definitely need it.

With all due respect to Suzanne, I don't agree with her statement
above.

IF... you are running with at least 1024 MB RAM, you can generally run
without a "swap" file (a.k.a. Page File) and encounter "FEW" (not
zero) "Virtual Memory Errors". However, if you use a lot of memory
intensive applications concurrently, you will risk loss of data when a
"Virtual Memory Error" occurs.

If you would like try try running without a page file, you can right
click on My Computer, go under "Advanced", click on "Performance",
"Virtual Memory" - Click CHANGE, and set to "NO PAGING FILE" on C:.
Click "SET", then APPLY & OK.

WARNING: I would say don't even try it if running less than 1024 MB
RAM.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

I beg to differ, Windows MUST have a swap file regardless of the amount of
memory you have. You may set 'No Paging File', but Windows will still create
one.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:

read only Tim Microsoft Word Help 4 March 29th 06 02:38 PM
File replaced by another file while saving. Anyway to get back the first file? meth New Users 4 January 7th 06 04:38 AM
merge instructions from text file Steve Mailmerge 8 November 26th 05 03:31 AM
How do I prevent Word from locking the file? Scott Bass New Users 0 October 5th 05 05:20 PM
open file talbert Microsoft Word Help 1 May 3rd 05 03:14 PM