Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
David J. Braden David J. Braden is offline

Default What are

In the Modify Style dialog box there are 2 checkboxes: "Add to Template"
and "Automatic Update". Could someone please tell me what the heck these
are meant to do? Also, this is my first Word ng post; I'd appreciate
someone letting me know if this query is even in the right spot.

Many thanks,
Dave Braden
--
Please keep response(s) solely within this thread.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Paul Ballou Paul Ballou is offline

Select Add to Template to use the modified style in new documents based on
the same template.... Word adds the modified style to the template that is
attached to the active document.

When Automatic Update is selected Word will automatically redefine the style
you selected whenever you apply manual formatting to any paragraph with this
style.
--
Paul Ballou
MVP Office

Life would be easier if we could view the source code

"David J. Braden" wrote in message
In the Modify Style dialog box there are 2 checkboxes: "Add to Template"
and "Automatic Update". Could someone please tell me what the heck these
are meant to do? Also, this is my first Word ng post; I'd appreciate
someone letting me know if this query is even in the right spot.

Many thanks,
Dave Braden
--
Please keep response(s) solely within this thread.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

Paul has answered your questions. When posting, it is important to use both
the subject line and the body to inform those who might read your post /
help you. http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/index.htm

Yes. You posted to the right newsgroup.
http://word.mvps.org/FindHelp/WhichNewgrp.htm

For further information on styles, see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"David J. Braden" wrote in message
In the Modify Style dialog box there are 2 checkboxes: "Add to Template"
and "Automatic Update". Could someone please tell me what the heck these
are meant to do? Also, this is my first Word ng post; I'd appreciate
someone letting me know if this query is even in the right spot.

Many thanks,
Dave Braden
--
Please keep response(s) solely within this thread.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

To understand the "Add to template" check box, you need to understand the
relationship between a document and its template; see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html

As Shauna explains, when you create a document, its styles are based on the
template's styles, but the document and its template are unlinked at
creation. Any changes you make to the document's styles from that point do
not affect the template *unless* you check the "Add to template" box to
update the template with your style changes. Similarly, changes to the
styles in the template don't affect the document unless you reattach the
template (Tools | Templates and Add-ins) with "Automatically update document
styles" checked.

The "Update automatically" check box usually should be unchecked. When it is
checked, any change you make to any paragraph in a given style will be made
to the style itself (with disastrous and bewildering consequences for users
who use nothing but Normal style; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...formatted.htm).
Ordinarily this is a bad thing; it can be useful, however, when you are
creating a template and still fine-tuning the styles, or (in documents) in
the TOC styles (where it is enabled by default), which are otherwise
somewhat difficult to modify.

"David J. Braden" wrote in message
In the Modify Style dialog box there are 2 checkboxes: "Add to Template"
and "Automatic Update". Could someone please tell me what the heck these
are meant to do? Also, this is my first Word ng post; I'd appreciate
someone letting me know if this query is even in the right spot.

Many thanks,
Dave Braden
--
Please keep response(s) solely within this thread.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
David J. Braden David J. Braden is offline

Charles,
Sorry about that subject line; that anyone responded at all says that
you guys might be /almost/ as good as those of us in the *.excel.* ng's
vbg, where I was an MVP for a few years.

And thanks for the rest of the responses.
Regards,
Dave Braden