Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Darkeforce Darkeforce is offline

Default Why can't I associate DOC files with Word 2007?

I'm trying to set Word 2007 as the default program to open DOC files, but it
won't let me. I don't want to have to go through and convert all my DOC files
to DOCX, and I know that using Word 2007 for DOC files means that I have to
use compatibility mode, but I'm content with that.

I have tried right-clicking a DOC document, and using "Open with...", but
even after I browse manually to winword.exe, it still won't show the option
to open in Word 2007 in the dialogue. I also tried going through Start -
Default Programs and selecting DOC files, but I got the same result; the
"Open with..." dialogue will not recognize Word 2007 as a viable program to
open DOC files.

I'm using Vista Home Premium

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Darkeforce Darkeforce is offline

That's crazy. There's no reason why we shouldn't be able to associate earlier
format of Word files with Word 2007 if it's able to open them. Not allowing
us to associate them like this seems like nothing more than a little, petty
"screw you" gesture. After all, most people still use DOC files, not DOCX
files.

"Darkeforce" wrote:

I'm trying to set Word 2007 as the default program to open DOC files, but it
won't let me. I don't want to have to go through and convert all my DOC files
to DOCX, and I know that using Word 2007 for DOC files means that I have to
use compatibility mode, but I'm content with that.

I have tried right-clicking a DOC document, and using "Open with...", but
even after I browse manually to winword.exe, it still won't show the option
to open in Word 2007 in the dialogue. I also tried going through Start -
"Open with..." dialogue will not recognize Word 2007 as a viable program to
open DOC files.

I'm using Vista Home Premium

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

You can certainly associate .doc files with 2007.

Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859

Vista
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-6172036.html

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Darkeforce" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Darkeforce Darkeforce is offline

EXCEPT...

If you had read my first post, you would see that those tools WILL NOT
RECOGNIZE Word 2007 as a potential program with which to open DOC files. Even
clicking the Browse button and manually browsing to and selecting Winword.exe
WILL NOT get the Change Association dialogue to include Word 2007 as one of
the possible options for DOC files.

"Darkeforce" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Darkeforce Darkeforce is offline

Vista SP1

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

Are you using Vista or XP?

--

"Darkeforce" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't think you can associate .doc files with a particular version of Word
in XP either. And you may not need to. I have XP with both W2003 and W2007
loaded on my computer. When I start a file from Explorer--by double clicking
it or right clicking and choosing open--Word will open it in whichever
version was opened last. Word behaved this way with the operating system
before XP as well.

I just checked the file associations on my computer; all the Word file
extensions are associated with "Microsoft Office Word".

Are you saying that your computer doesn't behave this way. If not, please
describe what does happen.

PamC

Darkeforce wrote:
EXCEPT...

If you had read my first post, you would see that those tools WILL NOT
RECOGNIZE Word 2007 as a potential program with which to open DOC files. Even
clicking the Browse button and manually browsing to and selecting Winword.exe
WILL NOT get the Change Association dialogue to include Word 2007 as one of
the possible options for DOC files.

You can certainly associate .doc files with 2007.

[quoted text clipped - 37 lines]

I'm using Vista Home Premium

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

I have Vista and Office 2007. .doc files are associated with Word. It
doesn't say which version but then again I only have one version installed
on this system.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Darkeforce" wrote in message
Vista SP1

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

Are you using Vista or XP?

--

"Darkeforce" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Darkeforce Darkeforce is offline

I only have Word 2007; upgraded from 2000. Word 2000 doesn't appear to be on
the computer at all anymore, so there is only one Winword.exe file.

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

I have Vista and Office 2007. .doc files are associated with Word. It
doesn't say which version but then again I only have one version installed
on this system.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Darkeforce" wrote in message
Vista SP1

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

Are you using Vista or XP?

--

"Darkeforce" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Specifically how are you trying to associate these files?

--

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

I have Vista and Office 2007. .doc files are associated with Word. It
doesn't say which version but then again I only have one version
installed
on this system.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Darkeforce" wrote in message
Vista SP1

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

Are you using Vista or XP?

--

"Darkeforce" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Darkeforce Darkeforce is offline

From my first post:

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

I have Vista and Office 2007. .doc files are associated with Word. It
doesn't say which version but then again I only have one version
installed
on this system.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Darkeforce" wrote in message
Vista SP1

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

Are you using Vista or XP?

--

"Darkeforce" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Darkeforce Darkeforce is offline

When I click to open DOC files, it opens in MS Works wordprocessor, which I
don't like at all. When I try to associate DOC files with Word 2007
(winword.exe), either by right-clicking and using "Open with", or by
selecting "Default Programs" from the Start Menu and setting file
associations, it doesn't show Word 2007 as a possible option, and browsing to
it manually still won't make it a possible option €” Office Word never shows
up in the "other programs" list, and clicking OK after browsing to it doesn't
change the association away from MS Works.

Additionally, Office 2007 doesn't show up in the "Set default programs"
list, either, so you can't set all Word formats to open with Word 2007 that
way.

Darkeforce wrote:
EXCEPT...

If you had read my first post, you would see that those tools WILL NOT
RECOGNIZE Word 2007 as a potential program with which to open DOC files. Even
clicking the Browse button and manually browsing to and selecting Winword.exe
WILL NOT get the Change Association dialogue to include Word 2007 as one of
the possible options for DOC files.

You can certainly associate .doc files with 2007.

[quoted text clipped - 37 lines]

I'm using Vista Home Premium

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Exhibit Imaging Exhibit Imaging is offline

Hi Darkeforce... I've been posting on this exact behavior. I've tried both
ways of associating the files. All I get is "pat" answers from the "experts"
who clearly haven't read my post... in the same way they obviously didn't
read your post. I've cruised the intenet looking for answers and there seen
to be a lot of people asking the ery same question.... no one id answering...

Darkeforce wrote:
EXCEPT...

If you had read my first post, you would see that those tools WILL NOT
RECOGNIZE Word 2007 as a potential program with which to open DOC files. Even
clicking the Browse button and manually browsing to and selecting Winword.exe
WILL NOT get the Change Association dialogue to include Word 2007 as one of
the possible options for DOC files.

You can certainly associate .doc files with 2007.

[quoted text clipped - 37 lines]

I'm using Vista Home Premium

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Darkeforce Darkeforce is offline

It's just like Microsoft to make something that isn't completely
backwards-compatable.

I don't see how something like this wasn't caught in beta-testing.

What about it, experts? Can I at least get an honest answer of "I don't know"?

Darkeforce wrote:
EXCEPT...

If you had read my first post, you would see that those tools WILL NOT
RECOGNIZE Word 2007 as a potential program with which to open DOC files. Even
clicking the Browse button and manually browsing to and selecting Winword.exe
WILL NOT get the Change Association dialogue to include Word 2007 as one of
the possible options for DOC files.

You can certainly associate .doc files with 2007.

[quoted text clipped - 37 lines]

I'm using Vista Home Premium

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...dows-Mail.html

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Darkeforce wrote:
EXCEPT...

If you had read my first post, you would see that those tools WILL
NOT
RECOGNIZE Word 2007 as a potential program with which to open DOC
files. Even
clicking the Browse button and manually browsing to and selecting
Winword.exe
WILL NOT get the Change Association dialogue to include Word 2007 as
one of
the possible options for DOC files.

You can certainly associate .doc files with 2007.

[quoted text clipped - 37 lines]

I'm using Vista Home Premium

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Exhibit Imaging Exhibit Imaging is offline

Hi Doug,

I don't mean to sound paranoid, but your link takes you out of the Microsoft
website, to an unknown URL, and then asks us to download an unknown .zip
file, launch it, and to top it all, it ask us to, quote "When you are
prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or
provide confirmation"

Does this sound safe to you, or does this sound like the type of thing the
other moderators would laugh at us for because we followed the instructions.

Really... Darkeforce... what do you think?

Caby Smith
csmith@exhibitimaging

Darkeforce wrote:
EXCEPT...

If you had read my first post, you would see that those tools WILL
NOT
RECOGNIZE Word 2007 as a potential program with which to open DOC
files. Even
clicking the Browse button and manually browsing to and selecting
Winword.exe
WILL NOT get the Change Association dialogue to include Word 2007 as
one of
the possible options for DOC files.

You can certainly associate .doc files with 2007.

[quoted text clipped - 37 lines]

I'm using Vista Home Premium

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You really don't get it do you? This is not a Microsoft 'site' and there are
no 'Moderators' posting here. This is a user peer group hosted on a
Microsoft Usenet server. The Microsoft web site you have used to access the
forum is merely one of many portals into the same user group. Those of us
who post here do so at our own expense and in our own time to help people
where we can, usually without thanks and often having to put up with
sarcastic comments from ungrateful users such as yourself.

It is not our fault that your installation is not working as you expect, and
it is not our fault that the standard replies that we have posted, which in
most cases do address the issue you are experiencing, have not worked for
you.

We have also done the standard web searches which you are quite capable of
doing yourself, and have posted likely solutions that others have found
helpful. If you don't wish to take advantage of those suggestions, then that
is a matter entirely for you, but given the nature of your continued
comments, do not expect fellow users to fall over themselves to help you
further.

Your problem has nothing to do with Word in any case. It's a Windows Vista
issue., maybe the Windows Vista folks (also users like yourself) will find
your sarcasm amusing.

On the other hand, if you want help from Microsoft then I am sure they will
be happy to take your money.

Darkeforce wrote:
EXCEPT...

If you had read my first post, you would see that those tools
WILL NOT
RECOGNIZE Word 2007 as a potential program with which to open
DOC files. Even
clicking the Browse button and manually browsing to and
selecting Winword.exe
WILL NOT get the Change Association dialogue to include Word
2007 as one of
the possible options for DOC files.

You can certainly associate .doc files with 2007.

[quoted text clipped - 37 lines]

I'm using Vista Home Premium

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Exhibit Imaging Exhibit Imaging is offline

Hi Graham,

You are right. I was suffering under the delusion that this was a Microsoft
site, and that you, and the others, were a paid moderators. I appreciate
you setting me straight. I can tell you that armed with that new knownledge,
I am not in any way ungrateful. I also think you can understand why I, and
probably many other posters here, think this is an official site with
Microsoft employees running it. Even though my comments were flaming, I do
think you might have given me the benifit of the doubt that I was unaware you
were all volunteers before calling me ungrateful... as I am not... I'm just
one more slug out here in the world who wants his products to behave as he
expects them to. I run a small business... very small... I wear all the
hats..., and spending 4+ hours trying to solve a software issue tends to make
one cranky. That said, even if you were all paid employees, it would not
excuse the tone of my posts. I should remain more proffesional all the times.
That said, a few of thing would help this site keep tempers from flairing...

One: It would be great to see this under each of your signitures, or at the
top of each page:

"This is a non Microsoft site,
All MVP Moderators are Volunteers"

Two: Idiots like me would mind their manners, and..

Three: There are, unfortunately, AND somewhat understandably, some very
elitist, holyier-than-thou posts by the volunteers here. I know you all have
to deal with idiots (I know... like me...) who barely know how to turn on
their computers, but I have seen many unnessesarily harsh comments, and I
don't think they are any more excuseable than my frustrated flaming.

Once again, I do appologise for my temper, (and my spelling) and I have a
greatly improved, new-found appreciation for the volunteers here.

Caby Smith

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

[...]

My web site
www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Darkeforce wrote:
EXCEPT...

If you had read my first post, you would see that those tools
WILL NOT
RECOGNIZE Word 2007 as a potential program with which to open
DOC files. Even
clicking the Browse button and manually browsing to and
selecting Winword.exe
WILL NOT get the Change Association dialogue to include Word
2007 as one of
the possible options for DOC files.

You can certainly associate .doc files with 2007.

[quoted text clipped - 37 lines]

I'm using Vista Home Premium

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Apologies accepted. I regret however that I am unable to offer any further
suggestions.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

See
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...dows-Mail.html

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Darkeforce" wrote in
message ...

Darkeforce wrote:
EXCEPT...

If you had read my first post, you would see that those tools
WILL NOT
RECOGNIZE Word 2007 as a potential program with which to open
DOC files. Even
clicking the Browse button and manually browsing to and
selecting Winword.exe
WILL NOT get the Change Association dialogue to include Word
2007 as one of
the possible options for DOC files.

You can certainly associate .doc files with 2007.

[quoted text clipped - 37 lines]

I'm using Vista Home Premium

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Exhibit Imaging wrote:
[..]
One: It would be great to see this under each of your signitures, or at the
top of each page:

"This is a non Microsoft site,
All MVP Moderators are Volunteers"

could you describe exactly how you accessed this site/newsgroup? Did you
hit some help button from within Word, or came directly from a MSFT
website, such as:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Exhibit Imaging Exhibit Imaging is offline

HI Robert...

I cam in, (if I remember correctly), by clicking on support in the MS Word
section of the main Microsoft website. I hope you read my appology above...
I really thought y'all were paid MS employees...

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Exhibit Imaging wrote:
[..]
One: It would be great to see this under each of your signitures, or at the
top of each page:

"This is a non Microsoft site,
All MVP Moderators are Volunteers"

could you describe exactly how you accessed this site/newsgroup? Did you
hit some help button from within Word, or came directly from a MSFT
website, such as:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
X Against HTML | for | with Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I really thought y'all were paid MS employees...

It's a common misconception, and it's further complicated by the fact that
many users arrive here (wherever "here" is) by clicking on something in the
Help file on their own computer that suggests they can get more help from
Microsoft. I think at some point there's wording such as "Get help from
other users," but many users don't notice this.

In many cases, though, you wouldn't get much better help even if you *were*
getting it straight from the horse's mouth. Sometimes there are issues that
the users who are dealing with them actually know more about than any of us
(other users) *or* them (MS employees)--especially bugs that have recently
arisen as a result of an update, for example.

As for your specific issue, I'm not sure whether it's more a Word or a
Windows (Vista?) issue, but the behavior you're seeing is certainly
puzzling. I can see how users like me, who are running Word 2003 and 2007
side by side, would want .doc files opened by Word 2003 and .docx files by
Word 2007 (I'm having the opposite problem--my system insists on wanting to
open .xls attachments with Excel 2007 and hangs in the process), but I can't
imagine why you would not even be offered the option of associating .doc
files with Word 2007.

"Exhibit Imaging" wrote in
message ...
HI Robert...

I cam in, (if I remember correctly), by clicking on support in the MS Word
section of the main Microsoft website. I hope you read my appology
above...
I really thought y'all were paid MS employees...

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Exhibit Imaging wrote:
[..]
One: It would be great to see this under each of your signitures, or at
the
top of each page:

"This is a non Microsoft site,
All MVP Moderators are Volunteers"

could you describe exactly how you accessed this site/newsgroup? Did you
hit some help button from within Word, or came directly from a MSFT
website, such as:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
X Against HTML | for | with Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Exhibit Imaging wrote:
I cam in, (if I remember correctly), by clicking on support in the MS Word
section of the main Microsoft website. I hope you read my appology above...
I really thought y'all were paid MS employees...

no problem -- just trying to understand how various people get in here.

I don't think anybody could pay us to take the heat that reaches us here
sometimes ... ;-)

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aNON aNON is offline

Here's what you need...

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithadd.htm

Just for interest...
= got to above link from
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...9145&SiteID=17
question

= got to this Q by googling: "open with" browse XP problem
site:microsoft.com (about 30th result (3rd page))

I'd actually resolved this before found the page, by using regedit ..
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT ...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
USAFisNO1 USAFisNO1 is offline

Darkforce,

I have the exact sme problem as you do. I loaded Office Enterprise 2007 on
my HP Slimline and Word2007 won't associate the .DOC files at all. It gives
me the same choice as you. My laptop has Word 2007 ait associates the files
just fine. There has to be an issue with this that someone has seen and
solved.....
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bret Bret is offline

I am struggling with the exact same issue., EXACT SAME! I did the exact same
things and still, word 2007 doesn't work.
I can open the program and then open the file as a work around.
Do you get a weird icon for your desktop word documents?

From my first post:

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

I have Vista and Office 2007. .doc files are associated with Word. It
doesn't say which version but then again I only have one version
installed
on this system.

--

JoAnn Paules