Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Oldfulla Oldfulla is offline

Default How many characters can be used in a file or folder name?

1) How many/what is the max number of alpha or numeric characters that can be
used in a folder or file name - using MS Office/Word 2003? Occassionaly I get
a 'message' when trying to move a folder or file - saying the file name is
too long.

2) In the same program (Word 2003) is there a document 'word counting'
facility?

Oldfulla
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

(2) Tools Wordcount. Or, you can have it always showing with View
Toolbars Wordcount.

On Jun 6, 6:23*am, Oldfulla
wrote:
1) How many/what is the max number of alpha or numeric characters that can be
used in a folder or file name - using MS Office/Word 2003? Occassionaly I get
a 'message' when trying to move a folder or file - saying the file name is
too long.

2) In the same program (Word 2003) is there a document 'word counting'
facility?

Oldfulla

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems
Scroll down to Limits

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Oldfulla" wrote in message
1) How many/what is the max number of alpha or numeric characters that can
be
used in a folder or file name - using MS Office/Word 2003? Occassionaly I
get
a 'message' when trying to move a folder or file - saying the file name is
too long.

2) In the same program (Word 2003) is there a document 'word counting'
facility?

Oldfulla

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Length of file/folder names is actually dictated by the OS, not by the app
[as long as the app takes advantage of what the OS provides]. Most current
versions of Windows (IIRC) allow for 255 characters. Moving files/folders is
also an OS function even if done through the Open or Save As dialogs.

What you're probably encountering, however, is most likely not a matter of
the individual file name length, but perhaps the overall number of
characters in the path, beginning with the "C:\". Have you tried doing file
management using a Windows Explorer window?

Depending on your version, edition, & update level of Windows OS there may
be a means of addressing the issue. Although you may get the answer here it
might be better to ask in the Windows OS Forum that deals with your specific
flavor of Windows.

As for Word Count, have a look in the Tools menu. You can also add 'Live
Word Count' to the Status Bar in Tools Options View, but it may slow
things down a bit depending on a number of factors. See this link for mo

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...824901033.aspx

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/6/10 6:23 AM, in article
, "Oldfulla"
wrote:

1) How many/what is the max number of alpha or numeric characters that can be
used in a folder or file name - using MS Office/Word 2003? Occassionaly I get
a 'message' when trying to move a folder or file - saying the file name is
too long.

2) In the same program (Word 2003) is there a document 'word counting'
facility?

Oldfulla

outlook not opening from File and folder task email this file Tangypsy Microsoft Word Help 2 January 11th 09 03:47 PM
How do I search for text in a file in a specific file folder dwiddis Microsoft Word Help 1 November 11th 08 05:03 AM
File Folder Labels Legallisa New Users 2 September 18th 07 10:48 PM
Saving to a web folder:- Won't save back to folder file opened fro Chris Monkman EvolutionDB Microsoft Word Help 0 November 23rd 06 03:58 PM
how do i put my file in my folder magruders New Users 2 November 25th 05 07:26 AM